(((The Jewish Cowbell))): Unpacking a Gross New Meme from the Alt-Right

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2016, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Yeah, I don't think we are missing on too much if we ditch racist jokes, really.

Martinus

No, freedom of speech should stop only short of direct incitement to violence - otherwise you will always find someone offended by something someone else says.

LaCroix

Quote from: Jacob on June 04, 2016, 04:07:30 PMMaybe we stop making jokes like that?

I think a lot of people would disagree that we should persecute those who make offensive jokes

Martinus

Besides, the only criterion one should judge jokes against is whether they are funny. No topic should be off limits a priori.

Martinus

Quote from: LaCroix on June 04, 2016, 04:14:50 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 04, 2016, 04:07:30 PMMaybe we stop making jokes like that?

I think a lot of people would disagree that we should persecute those who make offensive jokes

Pretty much anyone who believes in the inherent worth of Western civilization. Cucks, on the other hand...

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 04:13:18 PM
No, freedom of speech should stop only short of direct incitement to violence - otherwise you will always find someone offended by something someone else says.

I'm not saying we should prosecute them, just disapprove of them. I know you're a lawyer, but not everything is addressed through the criminal code.

Freedom of speech works both ways, and it includes the people that feel offended by those jokes.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 04:15:00 PM
Besides, the only criterion one should judge jokes against is whether they are funny. No topic should be off limits a priori.

You got on your high horse when I made jokes about Trump scum getting the shit kicked out of them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2016, 04:19:55 PMFreedom of speech works both ways, and it includes the people that feel offended by those jokes.

the original argument was that these offensive jokes should be considered (by everyone, I guess) as if they weren't jokes but serious statements. this essentially means the obliteration of offensive joke-making

so, I don't think it's limited to just those who are offended by offensive jokes. these people already exist: prudes.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2016, 04:49:44 PM
I don't get the joke in pointing out that someone's Jewish :huh:

Fair enough. It does not automatically mean the joke is a bad one. I bet there are jokes you find funny that other people do not get (or even find them offensive).

Sheilbh

Sure but I can't even see the outline for a joke.

There's racist memes and stuff that I don't find funny and think offensive, but I can see how it's a joke. I literally have no idea how identifying someone as Jewish works on that level.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on June 04, 2016, 04:19:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 04:13:18 PM

I'm not saying we should prosecute them, just disapprove of them. I know you're a lawyer, but not everything is addressed through the criminal code.

Freedom of speech works both ways, and it includes the people that feel offended by those jokes.

Sure, the question is whether it is a productive use of your time to do so. But I guess I am willing to concede that whatever floats your boat it is highly subjective and I shouldn't waste my time criticising others for wasting theirs - some people find painting miniatures rewarding; for others, virtue signalling does the trick.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 04, 2016, 04:55:09 PM
Sure but I can't even see the outline for a joke.

There's racist memes and stuff that I don't find funny and think offensive, but I can see how it's a joke. I literally have no idea how identifying someone as Jewish works on that level.

I suspect it's absurdist. There is probably also an element of an in-joke there. Like, Languish's "Who the fuck are you?" which is probably deeply unfunny for anyone who is not "in".

The Brain

Jokes are formulaic stories clearly labeled as jokes by the teller. "One-liners" etc are not funny and certainly not jokes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

So 1) antisemitism still exists, and 2) Europeans and racist Dumbfuckistanis are at best dismissive about it and at worse endorse it.  Holy fucking shit.