(((The Jewish Cowbell))): Unpacking a Gross New Meme from the Alt-Right

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2016, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I don't understand the "troll" point.  Is there any reason to think these people don't believe what they say?  Is there something about degenerate racists harassing people that somehow becomes cute or acceptable because it is done through an internet connection? 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 03, 2016, 09:54:10 AM
I don't understand the "troll" point.  Is there any reason to think these people don't believe what they say?  Is there something about degenerate racists harassing people that somehow becomes cute or acceptable because it is done through an internet connection?

Oh, you'd say that wouldn't you, (((Minsky Moment))).

Seriously though, I don't see why we should just laugh this bullshit off either.  That Dylann Roof kid was like this, and he assassinated a politician and killed eight other people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Seems to me these guys are old fashioned KKK types, just emboldened and made shameless by the anonymity provided by the internet.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Yep - I find the entire "Haha, they sure trolled you LOL" response only slightly less odious than the hatespeak to begin with...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 03, 2016, 10:04:08 AM
Seems to me these guys are old fashioned KKK types, just emboldened and made shameless by the anonymity provided by the internet.

Yes and let me tell you it is only going to get worse, because they are now realising that rallying together behind a common cause (Trump in thi case) countr-wide gives them critical mass necessary to actually influence stuff.

Happened slowly but steadily to Hungarian far-right scum over the years from the late 90s, as from their pariah status some public figures started to talk to their liking, and their style, and their "values" became sociall accepted talking points again.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

LaCroix

online, probably 10%~ of people who make anti-semitic remarks are actually anti-semites. people do it for laughs or to get a reaction from people--a culture of this has developed that's more similar to ginger jokes than actual racism. here, it's probably a joke/whatever because it contains the standard, "yes, yes, good goy." the actual anti-semites don't seem to really play along--their discussions tend to be more serious and filled with actual hate. contrast this with gamersgate/anti-SJW types (another subculture in the same community), who tend to be more serious in their rants against feminists, etc. there are few actual rants against jews.

The Minsky Moment

I haven't seen much of this kind of stuff but I do follow a bunch of econ blogs and I have noticed a recent rise in the comments sections of references to the  Bell Curve (Charles Murray) as if it were some kind of irrefutable social scientific dogma and not one of the most notorious junk statistics studies in recent history.  For the most part I don't read comments sections anymore because of the idiots/trolls.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Is it acceptable and would I put up with someone I knew who was behaving in such a fashion? No, of course not. But this is the internet and people do despicable things on it all the time. What was noted in that excerpt in OP doesn't seem to rise to the occasion of needed to take action.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

In fact the troll point supports spreading of racism in this case (or homophobia or any other kind of bigotry). If you can't say it seriously, but can pass it off as "a joke" that's what you do... and you continue doing so until people have heard those jokes enough that you can start saying it seriously and not get a reaction.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 03, 2016, 10:56:28 AM
Pre-emptive overreaction is the key to winning, then.

I was just chatting with someone who had their name bracketed like that on twitter - by people unrelated to the conversation - for something relatively , unleashing a barrage of channer like spam, hatemail, cries of "kind and sensitive person" and "beta", and gore to their account.

I don't think reacting to this in the online space is an overreaction, nor pre-emptive even if you personally don't care.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Razgovory on June 03, 2016, 01:05:29 AM
Seems like they favor the Republican candidate for President.

Our system only gives them two real choices.  If we had a true multi-party system, they would have their own loony like the Euro countries do.

Legbiter

Of course we don't understand it. We're all normie scum to be triggered for lulz. Anon chan culture + 17 year old lettowites = /pol/.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.