(((The Jewish Cowbell))): Unpacking a Gross New Meme from the Alt-Right

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2016, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I used to think Americans were OK now I'm not sure.  Suddenly the Walken joke about more cowbell looks very suspicious to me. And if SNL isn't proof against the anti-semites there is no safe place.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on June 06, 2016, 05:45:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2016, 04:59:19 PM
So 1) antisemitism still exists, and 2) Europeans and racist Dumbfuckistanis are at best dismissive about it and at worse endorse it.  Holy fucking shit.

What is your estimate, in %, of Americans that are anti-semitic?

I am certain there is a substantial amount, but certainly less than the 100% of Europeans.

Then again, there are some parts of America where Jews are such an ingrained part of society they're not even noticed, and there are parts of America that have probably never seen a Jew. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2016, 04:40:45 PM
It's kind of weird watching the alt right using perceived anti-Semitism to support their own anti-Muslim bigotry while simultaneously dismissing criticism of or indulge in actual anti-Semitism.

Not really; it's just another defensive play on the whole "only racists talk about race" angle. 
After all, when racists talk about the "inner city", or "states' rights", or "welfare", or "law and order", they're not saying "niggers" even though they're saying "niggers", and they will take umbrage when you call them on it.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2016, 07:04:08 PM
I am certain there is a substantial amount, but certainly less than the 100% of Europeans.

You are overstating your case here. At the very least, you should exclude European Jews from the list of anti-Semites.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2016, 07:09:33 PM
It's kind of weird watching the alt right using perceived anti-Semitism to support their own anti-Muslim bigotry while simultaneously dismissing criticism of or indulge in actual anti-Semitism.

Not really; it's just another defensive play on the whole "only racists talk about race" angle. 
After all, when racists talk about the "inner city", or "states' rights", or "welfare", or "law and order", they're not saying "niggers" even though they're saying "niggers", and they will take umbrage when you call them on it.

Yeah, I agree. Originally I thought "funny" instead of "weird", but it's not really funny.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2016, 07:09:55 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2016, 07:04:08 PM

You are overstating your case here. At the very least, you should exclude European Jews from the list of anti-Semites.

:lol: I dunno, man...Jews are loathed, but Jewish self-loathing is a close to an art as you get.

Zoupa

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on June 06, 2016, 08:14:55 PM
What?  :huh: Seriously?

Yeah.  I think most people here hold at least one negative generalization about Jews.  But then again they probably hold at least one negative generalization about almost any ethnic/religious/cultural group, and I think Jews would score better than most on the question "taking the good with the bad, is your view of [group X] overall positive or negative."

Maybe lower than 90, since as Seedy pointed out there are swathes of the country where people have never met a Jew and don't give them any thought.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2016, 04:00:55 PM
There's about 500K Jews in France.  Most of them aren't going anywhere.
There was a time of course when things were different . . .

But what about their obvious inability to coexist with {{Ahmed}}?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2016, 04:00:55 PM
There's about 500K Jews in France.  Most of them aren't going anywhere.
There was a time of course when things were different . . .

Not as weird as watching leftists like Capetan Mihali spout anti-semitic stuff in defense of Palestinians.

Martinus

I mean let's face it, everybody is antisemitic to a degree. But if I were Jewish, I'd rather side with antisemites who make jokes about Jews, than antisemites who support nations, cultures and religions that pose existential threat to Jews.

It's pretty much the same with being gay and picking which homophobes to side with.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on June 07, 2016, 12:44:15 AM
I mean let's face it, everybody is antisemitic to a degree. But if I were Jewish, I'd rather side with antisemites who make jokes about Jews, than antisemites who support nations, cultures and religions that pose existential threat to Jews.

It's pretty much the same with being gay and picking which homophobes to side with.
Why pick?

And I don't think everyone is racist, homophobiic or anti-Semitic to some degree. Even if that's the case not everyone makes the choice to make jokes about Jews/gays. Pick the people who choose not to.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I find Woody Allen's neuroticism rather wearing but that is about it  :huh:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 07, 2016, 01:38:25 AM
I find Woody Allen's neuroticism rather wearing but that is about it  :huh:
Yeah I genuinely can't think of any stereotypes I have or have held about Jews :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!