(((The Jewish Cowbell))): Unpacking a Gross New Meme from the Alt-Right

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2016, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

There are plenty of people other than Romney who haven't endorsed him.

Sheilbh

Really? I thought Ryan was everyone's last hope of a prominent Republican just not lining up.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2016, 03:04:55 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on June 03, 2016, 03:04:00 PM
very few young people do bad things because they're actually Bad People. most young people who do bad things do so because they're highly susceptible to external influence: some of these internet communities. then, once they mature and enter the real world, many drop those attitudes.

I'm reminded of a certain discussion about root causes of Islamic terrorism.  :hmm:

I don't think these trolls are Muslim.  :huh:

LaCroix

Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2016, 03:09:14 PMI have been young myself. You are not some puppet without a will just because you are young.

I'm reminded of the "12-year-olds don't know that you don't shoot people" discussion from a while back.

world politics is more nuanced than murder

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2016, 03:09:14 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on June 03, 2016, 03:04:00 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2016, 02:55:43 PM
I'm not a fan of the "young and stupid" line of thinking. "Young and stupid" people do bad things because they (the people) are bad, not because they are young. Lots of people don't act like assholes when they're young.

very few young people do bad things because they're actually Bad People. most young people who do bad things do so because they're highly susceptible to external influence: some of these internet communities. then, once they mature and enter the real world, many drop those attitudes.

I have been young myself. You are not some puppet without a will just because you are young.

I'm reminded of the "12-year-olds don't know that you don't shoot people" discussion from a while back.

Free speech is murder!!!11

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2016, 03:37:50 PM
Really? I thought Ryan was everyone's last hope of a prominent Republican just not lining up.

Unless I missed something, Wubya and Herbert Walker have not.  Pretty sure the New Mexico gobernador has not.  Rand Paul said he signed a pledge to support the eventual nominee, so he will support.  I think there are a great number of pro forma endorsements of this non-ringing kind out there.

Or to put it another way, how many prominent Republicans have been showing up at his campaign events?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2016, 03:46:19 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2016, 03:37:50 PM

Unless I missed something, Wubya and Herbert Walker have not.  Pretty sure the New Mexico gobernador has not.  Rand Paul said he signed a pledge to support the eventual nominee, so he will support.  I think there are a great number of pro forma endorsements of this non-ringing kind out there.

Or to put it another way, how many prominent Republicans have been showing up at his campaign events?

I would think that a term "prominent Republican" means someone who is active in politics. Dubya is retired.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2016, 03:46:19 PM

Okay, prominent Republicans who aren't blood relatives of a man bullied by Trump across God knows how many debates and I wasn't limiting this to ringing endorsements and campaigning either.

Personally I think with something like Trump any sort of endorsement's a disgrace. As with Corbyn I even sort of feel that silence is tacitly allowing the takeover.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Of course many of those yea are like McCain's I support the nominee of the party.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2016, 03:51:08 PM
Personally I think with something like Trump any sort of endorsement's a disgrace. As with Corbyn I even sort of feel that silence is tacitly allowing the takeover.

I think Rand Paul's position, for example, is perfectly defensible.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2016, 03:56:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2016, 03:51:08 PM

I think Rand Paul's position, for example, is perfectly defensible.
'A speck of dirt is way more qualified to be president'. He's a 'delusional narcissist and an orange faced windbag'. 'Do we really want a commander in chief who is eager to use nuclear weapons?'

'I've always said I'll support whoever's nominee.'

That doesn't seem defensible to me.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: LaCroix on June 03, 2016, 02:20:37 PM
while places like /pol/ of course encourage bigotry, and the attitudes there probably have/do convert people, the same can be said of LGBT and other progressive movements. the internet and its anonymity has done a lot of good and bad, and I agree with the point that I think marti's trying to make: the vast majority of kids who come from chans and other off-color internet communities aren't a threat. they're too few and unpopular; these are the social outcasts.

Not just that but also the fact that there are hardly any reports of these people being violent - whereas, at least in the US, it's the left that has been committing a number of acts of violence over the last months.

Admittedly it's different in Europe - that's why, for example, Tamas is so misguided on this.