News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Green Energy Revolution Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2016, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 22, 2019, 06:43:55 PM
All of our manufacturing moved over there.

I mean not really. It was not like much of our manufacturing was over here prior to China being a big deal. It was all made in Taiwan or South Korea or Mexico.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on November 22, 2019, 06:53:53 PM

I mean not really. It was not like much of our manufacturing was over here prior to China being a big deal. It was all made in Taiwan or South Korea or Mexico.

I believe the US still has the second biggest manufacturing sector in the world, so even that isn't entirely true.

Legbiter

Also of concern is that Chinese carbon emissions don't take into account it's big push to construct additional coal plants in African countries.

QuoteChina has invested in coal projects in 34 countries, 11 of which are in Africa, according to data compiled by Global Energy Monitor's Global Coal Plant Tracker, an industry watchdog.

China invested in eight of those African countries, six of which have no existing coal-related infrastructure, after its commitment to the Paris climate agreement in 2015. Once completed, these projects would generate 102 gigawatts in coal power globally, locking countries that currently have little to no coal capacity into coal dependency, according to a statement from Urgewald, a German environmental rights group

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/06/09/when-coal-came-to-paradise-china-coal-kenya-lamu-pollution-africa-chinese-industry-bri/
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

But why though? Why are they doing this?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2019, 08:28:49 PM

One Road, One Belt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative

Global warming has nothing to do with it.  It is an unintended consequence. 

Valmy

Look it was unintentional when James Watt developed steam engines, he had no idea all that coal would one day be bad. But Global Warming had been known about for decades by 2013, how can a generally known and understood consequence be unintentional?

Zoupa

They don't care Valmy. C'est aussi simple que ca.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2019, 11:00:36 PM
Look it was unintentional when James Watt developed steam engines, he had no idea all that coal would one day be bad. But Global Warming had been known about for decades by 2013, how can a generally known and understood consequence be unintentional?

Global Warming is somebody else's problem.  One Belt One Road aims to project Chinese power and to (hopefully) make some money in the process.  Global Warming just doesn't factor into the decision making process at all. 

Josquius

Has anyone ever encountered solar roof tiles in the wild?
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: Monoriu on November 23, 2019, 09:17:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2019, 08:28:49 PM

One Road, One Belt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative

Global warming has nothing to do with it.  It is an unintended consequence.

Yeah. The coal plants under construction today just in Africa by the Chinese will have greater energy output than the entire current wind power output of the US.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zoupa

Quote from: Monoriu on November 24, 2019, 02:13:51 AM

Global Warming is somebody else's problem.  One Belt One Road aims to project Chinese power and to (hopefully) make some money in the process.  Global Warming just doesn't factor into the decision making process at all.

Last I checked millions of Chinese live next to the ocean.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zoupa on November 24, 2019, 02:25:22 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 24, 2019, 02:13:51 AM

Last I checked millions of Chinese live next to the ocean.

Including me.  But that's not the point.  The point is you don't think like a Chinese at all.  Why do you assume that Chinese want other Chinese to do well? 

Zoupa

Monoriu

Tonitrus

Communism is a red herring.  Most "communist" states have mostly haven't been...besides paying lip service to the dogma.