Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2016, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

viper37

To save the Earth, drink Vodka

When life gives you carbon dioxide, turn it into vodka—or at least that's the idea behind the latest unveiling in the food and beverage sustainability movement.

According to Brooklyn-based startup Air Co., on Thursday the company released "the world's first carbon-negative vodka," with each bottle a result of the daily carbon intake of eight trees. As the label says, it's "vodka made from air, water and sun."
[...]
The solution being a smooth, ethically-made cocktail spirit, of course. According to the company, the patented distilling process uses just two ingredients—carbon dioxide and water—to make its ethyl alcohol. Air Co. already boasts awards from NASA and the United Nations for its distilling technology, which the company says is actively helping fight climate change with the removal of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere during production.

"We skip the entire fermentation process and are one machine that can fit in any given bedroom that does the same role, only faster and more efficient, with no impact to our environment, all run on solar power," explained Sheehan.

Ahh, that is really nice!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Is the bedroom really a good idea? Drinking in bed is for movie stars.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on November 26, 2019, 12:00:54 PM
Is the bedroom really a good idea? Drinking in bed is for movie stars.
You can be a star too!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on November 25, 2019, 05:48:06 AM
From wikipedia:

I wonder about these stats: are carbon emissions determined by the nation that (say) pumps oil out of the ground, or the nation in which that oil is burned as fuel?

Because it seems like oil-producing nations have more emissions per capita than others - like Qatar, UAE, etc. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Would you buy food from a skinny chef?

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2019, 01:54:50 PM
I wonder about these stats: are carbon emissions determined by the nation that (say) pumps oil out of the ground, or the nation in which that oil is burned as fuel?

Because it seems like oil-producing nations have more emissions per capita than others - like Qatar, UAE, etc.

I assume it is based on where it is burned, but processes like extracting and refining can be pretty energy intensive.

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2019, 01:54:50 PM
Quote from: Maladict on November 25, 2019, 05:48:06 AM
From wikipedia:

Without having the foggiest idea on how that's calculated, that the small oil states have such a high per capita impact doesn't really seem strange to me, they lead some pretty high consumption lifestyles over there, and that has an impact on emissions. I mean, just all the air con that they must use has to have a huge impact, and the populations are so small that the per capita index is through the roof.

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on November 29, 2019, 03:42:08 PM

Without having the foggiest idea on how that's calculated, that the small oil states have such a high per capita impact doesn't really seem strange to me, they lead some pretty high consumption lifestyles over there, and that has an impact on emissions. I mean, just all the air con that they must use has to have a huge impact, and the populations are so small that the per capita index is through the roof.

I don't think it can be that, or at least. not only that - I mean, Kazakhstan has a higher per-capita emissions than many first world nations such as France/Monaco (twice as much!), and its population hardly lives in sybaritic ease compared to those places. I gotta assume that's a function of the oil industry there, either as Funk says because of refining and processing, or because the carbon is attributed to source of origin.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

I believe oil is attributed to point of origin.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2019, 03:51:00 PM
I believe oil is attributed to point of origin.

If true, that's a significant problem with how it's accounted for. In fairness, it ought to be attributed to where it is used.

The Brain