Postmodernism is destroying our brains, culture and civilization

Started by Hamilcar, May 05, 2016, 08:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archy

Duque de Bragança

Very easy. Just think of some creative accounting, for tax evasion purposes or for electoral campaigns.   :P

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Archy on May 09, 2016, 05:39:13 AM
Imagine postmodern accounting  :D

Thx but no thx, belgian surrealist accounting is bad enough :p

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2016, 09:21:32 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 06, 2016, 09:11:47 AM
Yes, that is true.  When you dig down, a lot of the time, the people giving statistics a bad name are actually social scientists rather than statisticians.  But I guess you just can't get published if you don't disregard good statistical practices.

Tough to get tenure when your entire publishing history consists of a bunch of papers that say: "We looked into the following issues and examined the following variables, and the result is that we can't reject the null."

The pressure to report statistically significant results drives bad scholarship.

John Oliver just did a story on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2016, 09:11:19 AM
Quote from: Archy on May 09, 2016, 05:39:13 AM
Imagine postmodern accounting  :D

http://news.findlaw.com/cnn/docs/enron/usafstw43003sind.pdf

That was modern accounting. Post modern is navigating all the rules that were put in place to prevent any type of shenanigans like Enron, most of which have no connection to anything done at Enron.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Siege

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2016, 10:47:55 AM

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2016, 10:44:55 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 10:30:06 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2016, 10:26:14 AM
All of them? Post-modernist mistrust of grand narratives and ideologies has unshackled a lot of the arts and freed them from conventional forms and content. In film it has been very enabling, from weird hyper-subjective South Korean dramas to Mad Max Fury Road. Loads of my favorite writers (Nabokov, Eco, Vonnegut, etc...) are post-modern too. Post-modern music can be a bit too precious though  :P

Huh. I hadn't noticed that. Ideology seems to dominate art to a huge degree these days. Nice to hear though.

Art is always ideological, the "problem" is that postmodernism has made us acutely aware of it. Producing and receiving art without an ideological intent or interpretation is becoming increasingly hard. Mistrust of ideology and challenging of such ideology has become an ideology in itself, in a way. And yeah, that's not good.

At some point the pendulum will swing back, but it has been a good ride. Postmodernism challenged lots of stuff that needed challenging.

The problem, I think, is that it produced such cynicism that we have people like Marti who have no moral compass at all.

On the contrary. I think Marty is a very moral human being  You are the one who doesn't understand him.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on May 13, 2016, 04:48:04 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2016, 10:47:55 AM

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2016, 10:44:55 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 10:30:06 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2016, 10:26:14 AM
All of them? Post-modernist mistrust of grand narratives and ideologies has unshackled a lot of the arts and freed them from conventional forms and content. In film it has been very enabling, from weird hyper-subjective South Korean dramas to Mad Max Fury Road. Loads of my favorite writers (Nabokov, Eco, Vonnegut, etc...) are post-modern too. Post-modern music can be a bit too precious though  :P

Huh. I hadn't noticed that. Ideology seems to dominate art to a huge degree these days. Nice to hear though.

Art is always ideological, the "problem" is that postmodernism has made us acutely aware of it. Producing and receiving art without an ideological intent or interpretation is becoming increasingly hard. Mistrust of ideology and challenging of such ideology has become an ideology in itself, in a way. And yeah, that's not good.

At some point the pendulum will swing back, but it has been a good ride. Postmodernism challenged lots of stuff that needed challenging.

The problem, I think, is that it produced such cynicism that we have people like Marti who have no moral compass at all.

On the contrary. I think Marty is a very moral human being  You are the one who doesn't understand him.

Thank you, Siege.  :hug:

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2016, 10:13:43 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2016, 09:21:32 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 06, 2016, 09:11:47 AM
Yes, that is true.  When you dig down, a lot of the time, the people giving statistics a bad name are actually social scientists rather than statisticians.  But I guess you just can't get published if you don't disregard good statistical practices.

Tough to get tenure when your entire publishing history consists of a bunch of papers that say: "We looked into the following issues and examined the following variables, and the result is that we can't reject the null."

The pressure to report statistically significant results drives bad scholarship.

John Oliver just did a story on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw

That was good
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Drakken

Carbon Fibre Masculinity

This article examines material economies of carbon fibre as a prosthetic form of masculinity. The paper advances three main arguments. Firstly, carbon fibre can be a site in which disability is overcome, an act of overcoming that is affected through masculinized technology. Secondly, carbon fibre can be a homosocial surface; that is, carbon fibre becomes both a surface extension of the self and a third-party mediator in homosocial relationships, a surface that facilitates intimacy between men in ways that devalue femininity in both male and female bodies. Carbon fibre surfaces are material extensions of subjectivity, and carbon fibre surfaces are vectors of the cultural economies of masculine competition. Thirdly, the article gives an account of Oscar Pistorius as an example of the masculinization of carbon fibre, and the associated binding of a psychic attitude of misogyny and power to a form of violent and competitive masculine subjectivity. The paper unpacks the affects, economies and surfaces of "carbon fibre masculinity" and discusses Pistorius' use of carbon fibre, homosociality and misogyny as forms of protest masculinity through which he unconsciously attempted to recuperate his gendered identity from emasculating discourses of disability.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273793754_CARBON_FIBRE_MASCULINITY [accessed May 14, 2016].

Valmy

How many people might be allowed today if we used a more feminine polymer for prosthetic.

Capetan Mihali

At least the Sokal affair was a real hoax that seriously called into question the editorial standards of "postmodern" academic journals.  And it took place in 1996. :yawn:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 14, 2016, 10:30:50 PM
At least the Sokal affair was a real hoax that seriously called into question the editorial standards of "postmodern" academic journals.  And it took place in 1996. :yawn:

Yeah I remember that. It brought up a lot of issues that were never addressed or resolved so here we are.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 16, 2016, 04:55:32 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 14, 2016, 10:30:50 PM

Yeah I remember that. It brought up a lot of issues that were never addressed or resolved so here we are.

I agree. Someone should finally determine whether gravity is a social construct or not.