Postmodernism is destroying our brains, culture and civilization

Started by Hamilcar, May 05, 2016, 08:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

We already have Marti badly playing this role. Do we need to add another player to the pantomime?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2016, 08:47:51 AM
We already have Marti badly playing this role. Do we need to add another player to the pantomime?
Took the words right out of my mouth.  :Embarrass:

Valmy

LOL. The standards for being a good man these days is pretty low. You never raped anybody? You did not abandon your kids? You are not in jail? You have a job? A++++ man. I would like to think my fellow guys out there for allowing the standard to be so low.

Also studying how nice people are in Nebraska seems humorous for some reason. Allies in New Jersey don't give a fuck.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

The increasing esotericism of the social sciences really is an unfortunate development, though. I blame the demand for originality in master's theses. It forces people to be... creative.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Natural Science people mocking social science people is a long and proud tradition -_-

I liked the one about how we should consider the conspiratorial rantings of the people when doing climate research instead of just science. Or how having ticks on your body is beneficial.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Yes we do.

celedhring

Postmodernism has been great for the arts. I'm fine with it.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2016, 10:11:25 AM

I actually am pretty cool with post-modernism but what arts were you referring to?

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 10:12:52 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2016, 10:11:25 AM

I actually am pretty cool with post-modernism but what arts were you referring to?

All of them? Post-modernist mistrust of grand narratives and ideologies has unshackled a lot of the arts and freed them from conventional forms and content. In film it has been very enabling, from weird hyper-subjective South Korean dramas to Mad Max Fury Road. Loads of my favorite writers (Nabokov, Eco, Vonnegut, etc...) are post-modern too. Post-modern music can be a bit too precious though  :P

I consider myself to be post-modern when I write stuff on my own dime.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2016, 10:26:14 AM
All of them? Post-modernist mistrust of grand narratives and ideologies has unshackled a lot of the arts and freed them from conventional forms and content. In film it has been very enabling, from weird hyper-subjective South Korean dramas to Mad Max Fury Road. Loads of my favorite writers (Nabokov, Eco, Vonnegut, etc...) are post-modern too. Post-modern music can be a bit too precious though  :P

Huh. I hadn't noticed that. Ideology seems to dominate art to a huge degree these days. Nice to hear though.

Martinus

I think the problem with postmodernism is that, whilst it started out as a healthy critique of accepted narratives and ideologies, it has led to relativism and then to anti-pragmatism and anti-empiricism of sorts - basically a belief that if something seems to be true, then the reality must be the opposite.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2016, 10:35:36 AM
I think the problem with postmodernism is that, whilst it started out as a healthy critique of accepted narratives and ideologies, it has led to relativism and then to anti-pragmatism and anti-empiricism of sorts - basically a belief that if something seems to be true, then the reality must be the opposite.

Agreed. It led to people thinking that protesting against neo nazis was wrong because hey, everyone has a right to march.