Postmodernism is destroying our brains, culture and civilization

Started by Hamilcar, May 05, 2016, 08:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 14, 2016, 10:30:50 PM
At least the Sokal affair was a real hoax that seriously called into question the editorial standards of "postmodern" academic journals.  And it took place in 1996. :yawn:

Pfft...The Sidd Finch affair beat that by 10 years earlier.

celedhring

I thought we were past the stage of considering everything that's long and hard a phallic symbol? That's the academic equivalent of 12-year old penis jokes.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 17, 2016, 09:26:42 AM
So what's the two-legged girl doing in that crowd?  :hmm:

Not all disabilities are visible? Maybe she has a very poor sense of direction.

DGuller

Quote from: celedhring on May 17, 2016, 09:21:14 AM
That's the academic equivalent of 12-year old penis jokes.
:hmm: Is joking about penises of preteens that popular?  :huh:

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on May 17, 2016, 10:30:54 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 17, 2016, 09:21:14 AM
That's the academic equivalent of 12-year old penis jokes.
:hmm: Is joking about penises of preteens that popular?  :huh:

No, but preteens joking about penises are. The wording is a bit confusing, I admit. :P

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on May 17, 2016, 09:34:46 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 17, 2016, 09:26:42 AM
So what's the two-legged girl doing in that crowd?  :hmm:

Not all disabilities are visible? Maybe she has a very poor sense of direction.

Cyborgs are disabled now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

one real, one cyborg leg seems uncomfortable for running

Capetan Mihali

Can't wait for lunch time, when I can crack open Derrida's Archive Fever and do a few pages of pleasure reading. :showoff:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Oexmelin

Quote from: Martinus
I agree. Someone should finally determine whether gravity is a social construct or not.

That's the standard, lazy rebuttal, much like "social construct" can be a lazy, cheap form of sociology. That wasn't really Sokal's own cheap point anyway. Who, amongst constructivists, would truly believe that one who step off a cliff would not fall and die? The point is not whether or not gravity is a social construct, for it can very much be shown to be one: e.g., a ton of people can "believe" in gravity without having the slightest idea of the mathematical underpinnings of the theory (thereby giving gravity as a concept a social existence that goes well beyond its scientific definition) or, the manner in which scientists came to formalize the theory in the past and in the present is very much rooted in specific cultural forms (could we not imagine a theory of gravity that used other forms of conceptualizations stemming from other mathematical traditions?), etc.  If you really want to attack "social construction" forms, you want to question either its breadth (i.e., what *isn't* socially constructed? - which makes such statement banal) or the capacity of certain social constructions to resist much longer than others, and in turn provide foundations for other, solid constructions. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

frunk

Quote(could we not imagine a theory of gravity that used other forms of conceptualizations stemming from other mathematical traditions?)

I'm not sure what other mathematical traditions you are thinking of.  The mathematical formulation of General Relativity isn't dependent on a particular language.  There are alternatives to General Relativity, but any that are worth mentioning (apart from historical interest) should match the observed data at least as well as GR.

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on May 17, 2016, 11:32:28 PM
Quote(could we not imagine a theory of gravity that used other forms of conceptualizations stemming from other mathematical traditions?)

I'm not sure what other mathematical traditions you are thinking of.  The mathematical formulation of General Relativity isn't dependent on a particular language.  There are alternatives to General Relativity, but any that are worth mentioning (apart from historical interest) should match the observed data at least as well as GR.

We just use a different mathematical grammar... you know, the one where 3+4=5.  Math is just a tradition, after all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

The point of it was that gravity exists as a mathematical/physics proof, one that is used in the sciences - it also exists without the mathematics in the minds of people, and that mental map is very likely quite different from the formal scientific one.  One is the universal symbolic language of numbers, the other is the cultural bound symbols of human language.

I am not sure why the concept of a cultural construct seems so alien to some folks.  The imperfections of human language, the need to communicate in metaphors and understood symbols, and the traditions of group dynamics should impact how the universal facts are filtered through the lens of human existence...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM