Postmodernism is destroying our brains, culture and civilization

Started by Hamilcar, May 05, 2016, 08:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2016, 10:37:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2016, 10:35:36 AM
I think the problem with postmodernism is that, whilst it started out as a healthy critique of accepted narratives and ideologies, it has led to relativism and then to anti-pragmatism and anti-empiricism of sorts - basically a belief that if something seems to be true, then the reality must be the opposite.

Agreed. It led to people thinking that protesting against neo nazis was wrong because hey, everyone has a right to march.

If you are going to mischaracterize my positions, at least do it in the thread where the discussion is already ongoing, rather than spread it to other threads.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2016, 10:39:55 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2016, 10:37:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2016, 10:35:36 AM
I think the problem with postmodernism is that, whilst it started out as a healthy critique of accepted narratives and ideologies, it has led to relativism and then to anti-pragmatism and anti-empiricism of sorts - basically a belief that if something seems to be true, then the reality must be the opposite.

Agreed. It led to people thinking that protesting against neo nazis was wrong because hey, everyone has a right to march.

If you are going to mischaracterize my positions, at least do it in the thread where the discussion is already ongoing, rather than spread it to other threads.

Already done.  And I repeat, whoever you are following these days has missed the point badly.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 10:30:06 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2016, 10:26:14 AM
All of them? Post-modernist mistrust of grand narratives and ideologies has unshackled a lot of the arts and freed them from conventional forms and content. In film it has been very enabling, from weird hyper-subjective South Korean dramas to Mad Max Fury Road. Loads of my favorite writers (Nabokov, Eco, Vonnegut, etc...) are post-modern too. Post-modern music can be a bit too precious though  :P

Huh. I hadn't noticed that. Ideology seems to dominate art to a huge degree these days. Nice to hear though.

Art is always ideological, the "problem" is that postmodernism has made us acutely aware of it. Producing and receiving art without an ideological intent or interpretation is becoming increasingly hard. Mistrust of ideology and challenging of such ideology has become an ideology in itself, in a way. And yeah, that's not good.

At some point the pendulum will swing back, I guess, but it has been a good ride. Postmodernism challenged lots of stuff that needed challenging.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2016, 10:44:55 AM
All of them? Post-modernist mistrust of grand narratives and ideologies has unshackled a lot of the arts and freed them from conventional forms and content. In film it has been very enabling, from weird hyper-subjective South Korean dramas to Mad Max Fury Road. Loads of my favorite writers (Nabokov, Eco, Vonnegut, etc...) are post-modern too. Post-modern music can be a bit too precious though  :P

Huh. I hadn't noticed that. Ideology seems to dominate art to a huge degree these days. Nice to hear though.

Art is always ideological, the "problem" is that postmodernism has made us acutely aware of it. Producing and receiving art without an ideological intent or interpretation is becoming increasingly hard. Mistrust of ideology and challenging of such ideology has become an ideology in itself, in a way. And yeah, that's not good.

At some point the pendulum will swing back, but it has been a good ride. Postmodernism challenged lots of stuff that needed challenging.

The problem, I think, is that it produced such cynicism that we have people like Marti who have no moral compass at all.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2016, 10:47:55 AM

At some point the pendulum will swing back, but it has been a good ride. Postmodernism challenged lots of stuff that needed challenging.

The problem, I think, is that it produced such cynicism that we have people like Marti who have no moral compass at all.

Meh, they existed before.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Agree about the cynicism. Not sure about Marty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 11:00:37 AM

Agree about the cynicism. Not sure about Marty.
:hug:

grumbler

Irony is not just the opposite of wrinkly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2016, 11:05:58 AM

Yeah, I remember telling you that once.  Glad you remember to use it from time to time, although in inappropriate circumstances.

Savonarola

QuotePostmodernism is destroying our brains, culture and civilization

Hear, hear, back to modernisme:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on May 05, 2016, 11:26:41 AM
QuotePostmodernism is destroying our brains, culture and civilization

Hear, hear, back to modernisme:

:wub:

I always mixed up Modernism/Modernisme when I first tried having art conversations in English.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2016, 10:59:10 AM

Meh, they existed before.

Fair point

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2016, 11:17:21 AM

Yeah, I remember telling you that once.  Glad you remember to use it from time to time, although in inappropriate circumstances.
:lol:  Irony is not just the opposite of wrinkly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2016, 12:46:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2016, 11:17:21 AM

:lol:  Irony is not just the opposite of wrinkly.

:lol:

The Brain

Well I'm getting good laughs out of the Twitter account. Thanks, Hami!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.