Merkel allows prosecution of German comedian who mocked Turkish president

Started by Martinus, April 15, 2016, 09:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: PDH on April 17, 2016, 02:46:11 PM
No, all should be accorded respect when they deserve respect.  The baseline is to respect until they move beyond the pale (that is called being civilized).  If they are beyond the pale and apologize, then they are back to that base state.  If they are an unrepentant idiot or douche, they should be treated like such.

:)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2016, 02:11:49 PM
Quote from: Norgy on April 17, 2016, 02:01:36 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2016, 01:32:59 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 16, 2016, 04:22:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2016, 03:23:24 AM
I love German mentality, by the way. "We have these stupid, likely unconstitutional, obscene laws but we are going to enforce them anyway because we uphold the rule of law."

Sounds like 70 years of denazification haven't really changed their attitudes.

It's more like Germans never do anything in half-measures, whether it's making cars, invading Russia, forcibly displacing themselves with Islam, etc.

I think they perfectly illustrate the difference between rationalism and empiricism. Germans are rationalists, but (unlike, say, the Brits) they are not empiricists. They take a principle and drive it to its "logical" conclusion - the whole "refugees welcome" fiasco is a great example of that. Germans decided they are tolerant now - so they announced they will accept any and all refugees, nuance and empirical evidence be damned.

Which gay rightwinger wrote that?
Because, Marti, you are unable to actually form any coherent argument someone hasn't told you to do. You are an empty shell of a human being. And these days, not a very likeable one.
Good luck with that. I'm kind of reluctantly sad that Languish let you in again, as you basically have nothing to contribute except bile.
Another "yes" vote I regret forever, I guess.

Are you drunk?

No.
I probably should be, though.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2016, 02:32:16 PM
Quote from: PDH on April 17, 2016, 02:28:05 PM
As Mart is a douchebag, any attack is warranted.

Btw, Mart, saying "are you drunk?" to a recovering alcoholic is a douchebag thing to do - just so you know.

Well, his post was hysterical, misplaced and exaggerated, especially as I didn't really say anything that outrageous in the post he quoted. So yeah, it reminded me of the best days of Norgy's drunk-posting.

Incidentally, your reasoning is identity politics at its finest - it doesn't matter what was said and what it means objectively. What matters is that "Mart is a douchebag" and "Norgy is a recovering alcoholic". ;)

Oh, why do I even bother.
If you'd read anything beyond the Cliff Notes of Hume and Kant, we wouldn't even have this discussion.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2016, 02:32:16 PM
Incidentally, your reasoning is identity politics at its finest - it doesn't matter what was said and what it means objectively. What matters is that "Mart is a douchebag" and "Norgy is a recovering alcoholic". ;)

I don't think the categories are really defined in that way, but rather "posters liked" (get free pass) and "posters disliked" (get overreactions).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Norgy on April 17, 2016, 02:01:36 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2016, 01:32:59 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 16, 2016, 04:22:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2016, 03:23:24 AM
I love German mentality, by the way. "We have these stupid, likely unconstitutional, obscene laws but we are going to enforce them anyway because we uphold the rule of law."

Sounds like 70 years of denazification haven't really changed their attitudes.

It's more like Germans never do anything in half-measures, whether it's making cars, invading Russia, forcibly displacing themselves with Islam, etc.

I think they perfectly illustrate the difference between rationalism and empiricism. Germans are rationalists, but (unlike, say, the Brits) they are not empiricists. They take a principle and drive it to its "logical" conclusion - the whole "refugees welcome" fiasco is a great example of that. Germans decided they are tolerant now - so they announced they will accept any and all refugees, nuance and empirical evidence be damned.

Which gay rightwinger wrote that?
Because, Marti, you are unable to actually form any coherent argument someone hasn't told you to do. You are an empty shell of a human being. And these days, not a very likeable one.
Good luck with that. I'm kind of reluctantly sad that Languish let you in again, as you basically have nothing to contribute except bile.
Another "yes" vote I regret forever, I guess.

You can blame Jacob. once again, your faith in a left wing politician has failed you :( :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Seriously, Norgy, I have been thinking about this and you were mean. So, I cant suddenly experiment with right wing ideas without you going all nasty on my ass? You know very well that in few months I will swing back, but I will still be hurt. :(

Edit: And I it was Stephen Fry whom I heard the empiricist vs. rationalist argument from, and he might be gay but he is not a right winger.  :mad:

Admiral Yi

Do you really think you're in a position to complain about people being mean?

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2016, 01:14:59 PM

Edit: And I it was Stephen Fry whom I heard the empiricist vs. rationalist argument from, and he might be gay but he is not a right winger.  :mad:

Oh, I was going to give you credit for distinguishing between empiricism and rationalism.  Few people do that anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

The Spectator magazine is holding an insult Erdogan contest :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36086563

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/introducing-the-president-erdogan-offensive-poetry-competition/

I don't think much of Murray's initial effort, but Erdogan is a tricky word in some ways, perhaps competitors will have more success with Tayyip.

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 20, 2016, 02:03:33 AM
The Spectator magazine is holding an insult Erdogan contest :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36086563

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/introducing-the-president-erdogan-offensive-poetry-competition/

I don't think much of Murray's initial effort, but Erdogan is a tricky word in some ways, perhaps competitors will have more success with Tayyip.

Excellent reasoning in this blog. And kudos to the Brits. You may have your faults, but you are probably the most liberally minded nation in Europe.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon