Merkel allows prosecution of German comedian who mocked Turkish president

Started by Martinus, April 15, 2016, 09:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: alfred russel on April 16, 2016, 09:43:57 PM
"You won't even be herding the squirrels in my backyard, because you are a buffoon."

All the wise men herd the squirrels in Drakken's backyard?  :hmm:

FMOP. :sleep:

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Siege

This guy should have known that in Germany the only foreign leader you can make fun of is President Bush.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Drakken

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on April 16, 2016, 11:03:45 PM
This guy should have known that in Germany the only foreign leader you can make fun of is President Bush.

That or any of the Kaczynskis.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2016, 12:13:00 AM
Quote from: Siege on April 16, 2016, 11:03:45 PM

That or any of the Kaczynskis.

Even Ted?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Legbiter on April 16, 2016, 04:22:36 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2016, 03:23:24 AM
I love German mentality, by the way. "We have these stupid, likely unconstitutional, obscene laws but we are going to enforce them anyway because we uphold the rule of law."

Sounds like 70 years of denazification haven't really changed their attitudes.

It's more like Germans never do anything in half-measures, whether it's making cars, invading Russia, forcibly displacing themselves with Islam, etc.

I think they perfectly illustrate the difference between rationalism and empiricism. Germans are rationalists, but (unlike, say, the Brits) they are not empiricists. They take a principle and drive it to its "logical" conclusion - the whole "refugees welcome" fiasco is a great example of that. Germans decided they are tolerant now - so they announced they will accept any and all refugees, nuance and empirical evidence be damned.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2016, 01:32:59 PM
I love German mentality, by the way. "We have these stupid, likely unconstitutional, obscene laws but we are going to enforce them anyway because we uphold the rule of law."

It's more like Germans never do anything in half-measures, whether it's making cars, invading Russia, forcibly displacing themselves with Islam, etc.

I think they perfectly illustrate the difference between rationalism and empiricism. Germans are rationalists, but (unlike, say, the Brits) they are not empiricists. They take a principle and drive it to its "logical" conclusion - the whole "refugees welcome" fiasco is a great example of that. Germans decided they are tolerant now - so they announced they will accept any and all refugees, nuance and empirical evidence be damned.

Which gay rightwinger wrote that?
Because, Marti, you are unable to actually form any coherent argument someone hasn't told you to do. You are an empty shell of a human being. And these days, not a very likeable one.
Good luck with that. I'm kind of reluctantly sad that Languish let you in again, as you basically have nothing to contribute except bile.
Another "yes" vote I regret forever, I guess.

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on April 17, 2016, 02:01:36 PM

Because, Marti, you are unable to actually form any coherent argument someone hasn't told you to do. You are an empty shell of a human being. And these days, not a very likeable one.
Good luck with that. I'm kind of reluctantly sad that Languish let you in again, as you basically have nothing to contribute except bile.

Are you drunk?

Jaron

Quote from: Norgy on April 17, 2016, 02:01:36 PM

Norgesvenn, we love you but this seems like an unwarranted attack on Martinus.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

PDH

As Mart is a douchebag, any attack is warranted.

Btw, Mart, saying "are you drunk?" to a recovering alcoholic is a douchebag thing to do - just so you know.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on April 17, 2016, 02:28:05 PM
As Mart is a douchebag, any attack is warranted.

Btw, Mart, saying "are you drunk?" to a recovering alcoholic is a douchebag thing to do - just so you know.

Well, his post was hysterical, misplaced and exaggerated, especially as I didn't really say anything that outrageous in the post he quoted. So yeah, it reminded me of the best days of Norgy's drunk-posting.

Incidentally, your reasoning is identity politics at its finest - it doesn't matter what was said and what it means objectively. What matters is that "Mart is a douchebag" and "Norgy is a recovering alcoholic". ;)

PDH

Well, those things are by and of themselves: you ARE a douchebag, and he IS a recovering alcoholic.  Respecting what a person is should be a part of civilized discourse.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on April 17, 2016, 02:37:26 PM
Well, those things are by and of themselves: you ARE a douchebag, and he IS a recovering alcoholic.  Respecting what a person is should be a part of civilized discourse.

No. All should be accorded the same respect, and one should respond to what they say and not who they are.

PDH

No, all should be accorded respect when they deserve respect.  The baseline is to respect until they move beyond the pale (that is called being civilized).  If they are beyond the pale and apologize, then they are back to that base state.  If they are an unrepentant idiot or douche, they should be treated like such.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM