Merkel allows prosecution of German comedian who mocked Turkish president

Started by Martinus, April 15, 2016, 09:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Never thought John Oliver was that good.  Erdogan is such a hypocrite he was imprisoned for a poem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2016, 08:35:39 PM
Never thought John Oliver was that good.

He's mildly funny but mainly his show digs deeper than any of the other comedy news shows. The rest just kind of repost the stories Fox and CNN have been flogging with a humorous twist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

I like John Oliver, he might not be the funniest but his pieces are usually well argued and researched. He achieves a very good balance between entertainment and commentary.

Richard Hakluyt

Erdogan is extending his activities and is trying to nobble Dutch criticism now :

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/president-erdogan-you-shall-not-pass/

Also contains an update on the insult Erdogan poetry competition :

"Well the entries have been flooding in for the 'Insult Erdogan Poetry Contest'. Thousands and thousands of them in fact, with entries from all over the world. The volume is quite extraordinary, particularly the number that are being submitted in Arabic."

:P

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 23, 2016, 03:03:22 AM
Erdogan is extending his activities and is trying to nobble Dutch criticism now :

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/president-erdogan-you-shall-not-pass/

Also contains an update on the insult Erdogan poetry competition :

"Well the entries have been flooding in for the 'Insult Erdogan Poetry Contest'. Thousands and thousands of them in fact, with entries from all over the world. The volume is quite extraordinary, particularly the number that are being submitted in Arabic."

:P

A dutch-turkish journalist has since been arrested while in Turkey, her house in the Netherlands has since been burgled (and "whore" written on the wall), critical turks living in the EU are being blacklisted...

and now this:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-turkey-politics-constitution-idUKKCN0XN0KL

I guess that lays to rest the doubts about the final goal of the AKP in regards to Turkey.

Martinus

QuoteNATO member Turkey, which aspires to join the European Union, has long been touted by its Western partners as a model secular, democratic nation with a majority Muslim population.

Whooops.

Solmyr

Crazy_Ivan80

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on April 17, 2016, 04:50:28 PMYou can blame Jacob. once again, your faith in a left wing politician has failed you :( :P

Why can Norgy blame me?

dps

Quote from: Jacob on April 26, 2016, 12:45:56 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 17, 2016, 04:50:28 PMYou can blame Jacob. once again, your faith in a left wing politician has failed you :( :P

Why can Norgy blame me?

Because he has HVC's permission.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on April 26, 2016, 04:55:18 PM

Why can Norgy blame me?

As good a reason as any I suppose.

Jacob

Quote from: dps on April 26, 2016, 04:55:18 PM

Why can Norgy blame me?

Right. Seems reasonable.