Explosions at Zaventem Airport (Brussels airport)/Brussels metro

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, March 22, 2016, 02:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2016, 10:09:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2016, 02:09:36 PM
Just possibly not as widespread as Trump seemed to claim.
"Possibly"?  "Seemed"?  Could you be any more of a weasel?  Yeah, yeah, I know, you're "kidding"/"exaggerating"/"trolling", sure thing.

Why are you so sure it didn't happen? We have eyewitness testimony that it did.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

That's really interesting Timmy. Thanks. And yeah, that fact has been mostly absent from major media coverage of the region and conflict.

alfred russel

A colleague of mine is from Belgium and splits his time between Brussels and Atlanta - he has an office here. We are writing on his door well wishes--he was in the airport when the bombs went off. Does anyone have a nice french phrase I could write?

Something along the lines of "We are glad you are safe - welcome back!"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2016, 01:18:41 PM
A colleague of mine is from Belgium and splits his time between Brussels and Atlanta - he has an office here. We are writing on his door well wishes--he was in the airport when the bombs went off. Does anyone have a nice french phrase I could write?

maybe he's dutchspeaking. :p.

anyways: here's my attempt: "Nous sommes heureux que tu es/vous êtes en sécurité - bon retour!". My French is not that good though.
on the offchance you'd need the Dutch: "We zijn blij dat je/u veilig bent - welkom terug!"
in both cases: [familiar]/[polite], chose as appropriate

alfred russel

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 25, 2016, 02:12:06 PM

maybe he's dutchspeaking. :p.

anyways: here's my attempt: "Nous sommes heureux que tu es/vous êtes en sécurité - bon retour!". My French is not that good though.
on the offchance you'd need the Dutch: "We zijn blij dat je/u veilig bent - welkom terug!"
in both cases: [familiar]/[polite], chose as appropriate

Thanks! He is French speaking.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2016, 02:33:09 PM
So he sound and look like Hercule Poirot?

No on both counts. :P

Someone wrote on his door, "vive la france! vive la (foreign word for belgium)!"

Any failure of language is probably my failure to remember the exact phrasing on the door. My point is, it seems odd to include france.

Eddie Teach

I believe the direct translation of that phrase is "voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?"  :frog:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Archy

alfred russel

Archy and ET are proven to be jackasses by babelfish.  :)

Archy

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2016, 10:09:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2016, 02:09:36 PM
Just possibly not as widespread as Trump seemed to claim.
"Possibly"?  "Seemed"?  Could you be any more of a weasel?  Yeah, yeah, I know, you're "kidding"/"exaggerating"/"trolling", sure thing.

I missed my stalker :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Piers Morgan? I think his wretchedness has been known for quite a while now.

Zanza

I bet the world will not remember that in one weeks time...