Explosions at Zaventem Airport (Brussels airport)/Brussels metro

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, March 22, 2016, 02:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 07:43:42 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on March 23, 2016, 06:20:58 AM
A little anecdote from my boss who flew back from Paris a few days ago. Bags were being checked very thoroughly, they were emptying them and going through everything. Funnily, all the airport security personnel were Muslim, and all the travelers were white. :P

So are you saying the security at Paris airports is not to be trusted?

He's saying put bacon and other pork products in your bags for some extra fun.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2016, 08:23:31 AM
A little anecdote from my boss who flew back from Paris a few days ago. Bags were being checked very thoroughly, they were emptying them and going through everything. Funnily, all the airport security personnel were Muslim, and all the travelers were white. :P

:thumbsup:

I will make sure to use this idea if/when travelling for my secondment.

Crazy_Ivan80

and it didn't take a day for the reports (of course not in the main media, never there!) of muslims dancing in the streets to appear.

at some point the jackboot is going to come down on all of this, and everyone will act surprised...

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 08:58:56 AM

Heh, may want to rethink that - importing meat products in your luggage = problems with inspectors, regardless of religion.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2016, 09:29:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2016, 08:58:56 AM

Heh, may want to rethink that - importing meat products in your luggage = problems with inspectors, regardless of religion.  :lol:
wrap it around yuor head instead, call it a religious prerequisite.

Tamas

You guys are both hillarious and sad. You are talking about punishing the airport workers for the terror attacks, just because they happen to be Muslims as well (originating from a Muslim country anyways - who knows if they even follow the religion). Great form.

LaCroix

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 23, 2016, 09:15:52 AM
and it didn't take a day for the reports (of course not in the main media, never there!) of muslims dancing in the streets to appear.

at some point the jackboot is going to come down on all of this, and everyone will act surprised...

I can't find this. like, on main media or any media. where does this report come from?

Martim Silva

Regarding the statistics on muslim support for terrorism, found this research from the Pew Research Center:

http://www.pewglobal.org/2006/05/23/where-terrorism-finds-support-in-the-muslim-world/

It's about 10 years old (pre-ISIS), so possibly not up to date.

It notes that support for suicide bombings and the killing of civilians had declined, but in all countries those that said that violence against civilians is often/sometimes justified is always in the double digits (all the way up to 57% in Jordan).

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2016, 12:40:13 AM
Syrian civil war was caused by famine which was caused by drought which was caused by global warming. So all the combat, attrocities, refugees and terrorist attacks that have occured as a result of that conflict all can be traced to global warming.

The Syrian Civil War stems from the Arab Spring.

The overthrow of the Tunisian dictator encouraged the populations of other states to try to bring down their oppressive regimes.

In Syria, there was the fear that al-Assad would have enough support to keep them down, as most of the revolts were benefitting Turkey, who happened to have a deal with Iran to keep the Alawites (a shia sect) of Assad in power in exchange for no Iranian interference in the affairs of Sunni states to the West of Iraq.

But when the West intervened in Lybia - and by this I especially mean France, who went forward without telling her partners and basically forced most of NATO to follow suit - the Syrian sunnis believed they could get western support if they rose against the Allawites, so a uprising started to take place.

There was never a unified command, so things got dicey, with hundreds of rebel groups getting support from several sources, including France and Saudi Arabia, though not as the direct military intervention the initial rebels had hoped, so the situation turned into a stalemate (this is what Assad has been referring to when he denounces/threatens 'foreign support for terrorists').

Grinning_Colossus

Hell, I bet a majority of Languish thinks that violence against civilians is sometimes justified.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 09:46:37 AM

I can't find this. like, on main media or any media. where does this report come from?

Trump saw it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on March 22, 2016, 10:00:37 AM
OTOH, stuff like 'wearing in public a funny hat' is something we ought to compromise on all the time: stuff like Sikhs wearing a turban with their Mountie uniform. That helps bind the Sikh community to Canada, makes them "us", and has no real downside.
see, that's where we disagree.
1st, if you allow for one, you must allow for everyone.  Otherwise, it is discrimination on the rest of the populace.
I can not, as a Mountie, were any hat I want to.  There is a uniform and I must adhere to it.  End of story.  If a religious man can make an exception, why can't I?  Why can't I wear a Metallica cap?  Why can I proudly wear my DRX Army shirt under my uniform?  Should we, theoritically, allow burqas for our female soldiers as well?  Should you be allowed to cover your face everywhere, at any time, because apparently your religion says so all the while non religious people can not benefit from the same priviledges?

This is just religious sillyness.  A State should not have any religion.  Individuals have religion and they are free to exercise it, within the limits other religious or non religious people have.  These limits do change over time, of course. But they must change for everyone, not just because you have a religion. 

Having a religion does not make one superior or inferior to any other.  It is not a disability, a handicapp, it is not in your DNA, it is a choice of life.  That you chose to put this choice above all else is your responsibility and you should consequently adapt your life around it, not the other way around.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

LaCroix

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 23, 2016, 09:48:38 AMIt notes that support for suicide bombings and the killing of civilians had declined, but in all countries those that said that violence against civilians is often/sometimes justified is always in the double digits (all the way up to 57% in Jordan).

and half the countries polled have a clear majority who would never ever support any violence (all the way up to 79% in morocco). bullshitting statistics is a really lazy way to make an argument

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: LaCroix on March 23, 2016, 09:46:37 AM

you speak dutch?
apparently an eyewitnessreport from a brussels fireman, yesterday.
given the proliferation of media and probable obscurity (I never heard of the site until now) of the site it's unlikely you'd have found it.
The phenomenon is hardly new though.

http://www.dagelijksestandaard.nl/2016/03/brusselse-brandweerman-immigranten-stonden-na-aanslagen-te-dansen-en-te-lachen-en-maakten-onthoofdingsgebaren/

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on March 23, 2016, 10:39:39 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 22, 2016, 10:00:37 AM
OTOH, stuff like 'wearing in public a funny hat' is something we ought to compromise on all the time: stuff like Sikhs wearing a turban with their Mountie uniform. That helps bind the Sikh community to Canada, makes them "us", and has no real downside.
see, that's where we disagree.
1st, if you allow for one, you must allow for everyone.  Otherwise, it is discrimination on the rest of the populace.
I can not, as a Mountie, were any hat I want to.  There is a uniform and I must adhere to it.  End of story.  If a religious man can make an exception, why can't I?  Why can't I wear a Metallica cap?  Why can I proudly wear my DRX Army shirt under my uniform?  Should we, theoritically, allow burqas for our female soldiers as well?  Should you be allowed to cover your face everywhere, at any time, because apparently your religion says so all the while non religious people can not benefit from the same priviledges?

This is just religious sillyness.  A State should not have any religion.  Individuals have religion and they are free to exercise it, within the limits other religious or non religious people have.  These limits do change over time, of course. But they must change for everyone, not just because you have a religion. 

Having a religion does not make one superior or inferior to any other.  It is not a disability, a handicapp, it is not in your DNA, it is a choice of life.  That you chose to put this choice above all else is your responsibility and you should consequently adapt your life around it, not the other way around.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Ralph Waldo Emerson  ;)

See, I weigh the value of 'making everyone do exactly the same in the name of fairness' on one hand, and 'creating an inclusive society in which, despite petty differences, we all consider each other as basically us' on the other; and the latter outweighs the former, by a long shot.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

LaCroix

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 23, 2016, 10:45:28 AMyou speak dutch?
apparently an eyewitnessreport from a brussels fireman, yesterday.
given the proliferation of media and probable obscurity (I never heard of the site until now) of the site it's unlikely you'd have found it.
The phenomenon is hardly new though.

http://www.dagelijksestandaard.nl/2016/03/brusselse-brandweerman-immigranten-stonden-na-aanslagen-te-dansen-en-te-lachen-en-maakten-onthoofdingsgebaren/

nope, but google translate does an OK job. thanks

so, the story comes from a fb post?
QuoteBij het terugkomen van interventie met betrekking tot de aanslagen van vandaag, heeft het ons gedegouteerd hoeveel groeperingen van vreemde origine stonden te dansen en te lachen en gebaarden ons te onthoofden!!! Ze laten enkel beelden zien van mensen die sympathie tonen, maar over hoe een grote meerderheid denk, wordt niet getoond! Dit zijn even gevaarlijke mensen dan de daders zelf!!!!
QuoteUpon return of intervention with regard to the attacks of today , it has disgusted us how many groups of foreign origin were dancing and laughing and motioned to behead us !!! They show only images of people showing sympathy, but think about how a large majority , is not displayed! These are equally dangerous people than the perpetrators themselves !!!!

I dunno, doesn't seem very specific. could be an emotional response to seeing some asshole 17 year old who thinks he's cool making a beheading sign while laughing. kids generally don't have much empathy