Started by jimmy olsen, March 02, 2016, 05:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 02, 2016, 11:07:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2016, 09:49:14 PM
It looks like George C. Scott.

That is because that is George C Scott.

I'm pretty sure that's Donald Trump.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2016, 11:09:17 PM

No no that is George C Scott playing Mussolini in that 1980s miniserie...oh wait I see what you did there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 02, 2016, 11:10:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2016, 11:09:17 PM

No no that is George C Scott playing Mussolini in that 1980s miniserie...oh wait I see what you did there.

That joke works better in person. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2016, 08:21:27 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2016, 04:11:44 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 02, 2016, 12:42:03 PM
This whole Trump thing, it all has such a Riefenstahl tinge.

That's silly.  What I will admit though that his supporters' preference for action over talk, restoring past glory, etc. has eerie similarities to Italian Fascist propaganda from the 1920s and 30s.

Now if he films a huge rally in Nuremburg, PA this summer I'll agree with you.

I dunno, man; there's more than a few similarities between today and the 1920s banging around, economically, socially...from the raw oligarchical mobsterism of Putin to the consolidation of power with a global economic fist behind it under Xi, from Lukshenko, Bloomberg, Mugabe and everyone in between, is it really too difficult to contemplate that we're entering another age of dictators?

lol, Nuremburg, PA.  The Sonic would be fucking packed.

That democracy thing was fun while it lasted.

Kleves

Quote from: Razgovory on March 02, 2016, 09:49:14 PM
It looks like George C. Scott.
:lol: Perhaps I should have taken a closer look at that.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: PJL on March 02, 2016, 05:40:16 PM
I think it's fair to compare Trump to Mussolini, though whether he'd make Amtrak run on time is another thing altogether. Cruz on the other hand, he's definitely the Hitler type.

If he can make the DC Metro run on time I'll vote for him.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 03, 2016, 09:59:12 AM
I think it's fair to compare Trump to Mussolini, though whether he'd make Amtrak run on time is another thing altogether. Cruz on the other hand, he's definitely the Hitler type.

Mussolini didn't actually make the trains run on time either.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 03, 2016, 10:05:16 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 03, 2016, 09:59:12 AM

Mussolini didn't actually make the trains run on time either.

Did he at least make them stop catching fire? Because I'd settle for that.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

MadImmortalMan

You know what? The first time I went to Ireland, I literally saw a train burning on a siding. It was on fire. I think that was 2006.

The EU can't make it happen. Trump can't either. There will be fires.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2016, 06:10:50 PM
I'm not comparing Trump to Mussolini.  He's Berlusconi.  Trump's followers do sometimes come off like nascent blackshirts is all I'm saying.
Berlusconi was eventually stopped by Europe, and because of Europe, he could not go as far as Mussolini to begin with.  What is going to stop Trump?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on March 03, 2016, 10:35:53 AM
Berlusconi was eventually stopped by Europe, and because of Europe, he could not go as far as Mussolini to begin with.  What is going to stop Trump?

The US federal government has checks and balances.  They are going to stop Trump well short of going as far as Mussolini.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

grumbler does have a point;  for all the fear the idea of a Trump presidency creates, the American republic has been and always will be greater than one man. 
Things would turn sour for Der Furor long before he could do any truly lasting damage, and I actually believe he would quit in frustration after long.

What bothers me more than what a Trump presidency could mean to the US is what a Trump presidency says about us.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."