Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 27, 2016, 03:46:34 PM
Since so far Obama's comments are proving prophetic, and if anything underselling, hard to see how one could criticize.

He antagonised a significant section of the UK population who don't like being told what to do by a Yank*.

* apologise for using the word, but that's what would typically be used to describe in his apparently high-handed approach. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on June 27, 2016, 03:54:11 PM
He antagonised a significant section of the UK population who don't like being told what to do by a Yank*.

Seems like they didn't like to be told anything by anyone.

Quote* apologise for using the word

I've got no problem with it, Lettow may be a different story.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on June 27, 2016, 03:52:15 PM
Our politicians or football team, who is more shittier?   :bowler:

I'll see your politicians and fodbol team and raise you the electorate.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2016, 04:09:51 PM
I'll see your politicians and fodbol team and raise you the electorate.

I'd say letting 50%+1 referendums break up countries and overturn decades old treaties/international relationships.  I'm pretty sure the US wouldn't of survived with such a system.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on June 27, 2016, 03:48:12 PM
FFS

I agree.
Cameron asked him to say something, it would have been pretty dickish to refuse.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2016, 03:34:16 PM
I think it was for Obama making comments in favor of remain. Bit I saw quoted was about Obama acting unseemly and Putin being on better behavior about the referendum. :D

Makes sense for Farage to back Putin.

citizen k

Alan Greenspan: Scotland Will Leave the United Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAq0TNBD6so

mongers

What we need know is a foreign war to bring the country together. *

Worked for someone in '82.

* I'm not being serious.

The Minsky Moment

Relatively favorable views of Putin are a good litmus test for detecting scummy Western politicians.  Catches dubious characters both left and right.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on June 27, 2016, 04:23:26 PM
What we need know is a foreign war to bring the country together. *

Worked for someone in '82.

* I'm not being serious.

You find yourself in '82 now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

What makes you think he ever left it?
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Haaretz London correspondent pointing out that there were chants at that rally - and signs and T-shirts - calling Labour MPs scum, traitors and vermin. Eleven days after Jo Cox was killed the Labour leader addresses that crowd :x :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on June 27, 2016, 04:14:34 PM
I'd say letting 50%+1 referendums break up countries and overturn decades old treaties/international relationships.  I'm pretty sure the US wouldn't of survived with such a system.

Would it be preferable to break up countries etc. through a 50+1 vote of elected representatives?  Or two maintain a status quo opposed by 50+1 % of the population?

Josquius

Fuck. The news makes for depressing watching.
The government has to invoke article 50. There will be no long drawn out negotiations.
2 years of life left....

Go Ken Clarke go.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Should Languish employ Shelf as it's paid Westminster correspondent, I know I'd be grateful as I just can't keep up with the volume of political news today.   :bowler: