Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 07:57:29 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 24, 2016, 07:55:57 AM
:yeah:

Ok why do you care about this?

It's the expression of local identity over the hegemony of the fake identity of the Federation (see any parallel here?).

Also, it is a knock into the Bilderberg group lobbying efforts that so far have not faced many defeats.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 08:42:40 AM
So your constitutional crisis is not just that you have a severely limited freedom of action for the government and parliament but also that all of a sudden your regions claim to have a say in foreign policy? What is this nonsense?

It is the undermining of the basic principles of representative government. Once the representatives have no legitimacy well then...other bodies will fill the void.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 24, 2016, 08:43:59 AM
It's the expression of local identity over the hegemony of the fake identity of the Federation (see any parallel here?).

I think you projecting parallels where there are none. This would be more like Canada voting to leave NAFTA and NATO.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

In the be careful what you wish for list:

Some of the biggest losers on the UK FTSE are house builders.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Agelastus

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 08:42:40 AM
So your constitutional crisis is not just that you have a severely limited freedom of action for the government and parliament but also that all of a sudden your regions claim to have a say in foreign policy? What is this nonsense?

The Kingdom of Scotland, the Principality of Wales and the remnant portion of the Kingdom of Ireland are hardly regions. Scotland in particular needs to be in the position almost of a co-negotiator given the political situation.

London, however...that's really stretching it.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 07:21:07 AM
Leaving the EU, if it was in their best interests and it was carefully negotiated, I could get behind. The EU certainly has its issues.

But the way this went down is nothing to cheer about. This is a pretty big blow to the West and its institutions.

But I am open to suggestions for why this is good that extend beyond a few emoticons.
Because we have a unique and special relationship with the UK and anything that threatens its sovereignty long-term threatens that relationship.  I am ok with a united continent dominated by Germany (which is what will eventually happen, like it or not Frenchies) but not with a UK dominated by Germany.

In a nutshell, people are people and they don't change.  The idea of a united Europe functioning like some kind of parallel USA is fundamentally foolish.  Apologies for my cynicism.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on June 24, 2016, 08:47:05 AM

I guess they figure there will be some kind of exodus from Britain?

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 08:49:27 AM

Less immigrants equals less heated house market I presume.

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 08:49:27 AMI guess they figure there will be some kind of exodus from Britain?

Nah, Boris Johnson is to be crowned King of Westeros, Nigel Farage Warden of the North and David Cameron will be allowed to take the black and guard Hadrian's Wall.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

UK house prices cooling off, which will hit many of the more well off older people who voted in droves for Brexit.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2016, 08:49:20 AM
Because we have a unique and special relationship with the UK and anything that threatens its sovereignty long-term threatens that relationship.  I am ok with a united continent dominated by Germany (which is what will eventually happen, like it or not Frenchies) but not with a UK dominated by Germany.

I don't Germany has the juice long term to do that. They are already planning in anticipation of a decline, that is why they are so conservative with things like deficit spending.

QuoteIn a nutshell, people are people and they don't change.  The idea of a united Europe functioning like some kind of US is fundamentally foolish.  Apologies for my cynicism.

India functions...kind of. And it is at least as regional and divided as Europe. Also more than twice as big. But the EU is not a national government so of course this institution could never function like some kind of US. Unless you are referring to the Articles of Confederation US :P

Richard Hakluyt

Cameron is going to hate Newcastle's Bigg market on a Saturday night  :P

comment aimed @ legs btw

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on June 24, 2016, 08:53:36 AM

UK house prices cooling off, which will hit many of the more well off older people who voted in droves for Brexit.

A lot of them might welcome a fall in house prices even if they own them, I know I would.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on June 24, 2016, 08:53:36 AM

Yes. I was just trying to figure out why :P

And the youth of Britain deserve a chance to not live in a hovel. But color me skeptical it will really cool off enough to benefit anybody.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 08:46:00 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 24, 2016, 08:43:59 AM

I think you projecting parallels where there are none. This would be more like Canada voting to leave NAFTA and NATO.

No, the EU is not akin to our alliance or our Free Tarde Agreement.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.