Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 07:23:12 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on June 24, 2016, 07:21:49 AM
So who's leaving next?  :hmm:

I think everybody is going to wait and see what happens to the UK first.

Do you actually have any political ideas besides a childish 'burn everything down for the LOLZ' thing you carry on about? I am just trying to figure out if we will ever have common ground.

I'm neutral on the UK leaving and I think they'll be fine on their own outside the EU. There are other countries who could potentially follow suit.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

OttoVonBismarck

I actually do not believe a union of states retaining some sovereignty is possible long term if 50+1 votes on stay/leave are permitted, especially all the time/any time. That applies to both the EU and the UK, and was why I was so against the Scottish even being permitted a vote.

In America we staked out an incredibly strong position on it being an irrevocable, permanent union. When 11 states disagreed we went to war over ir, and it transformed us from a collection of states to a nation. This was even true culturally--the very way people spoke about state and country changed fundamentally after the civil war.

The way Europeans/Brits have gone about it these unions face the risk of permanent severing anytime passions briefly turn against said union.

Legbiter

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2016, 07:30:21 AMThe way Europeans/Brits have gone about it these unions face the risk of permanent severing anytime passions briefly turn against said union.

Well yes, essentially Cameron's luck ran out.

Valmy

By the way can somebody explain to me why Gibraltar voted in the referendum but the Isle of Mann did not?  :wacko:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on June 24, 2016, 07:29:59 AM

:hmm: Ok then.

QuoteI'm neutral on the UK leaving and I think they'll be fine on their own outside the EU. There are other countries who could potentially follow suit.

Sure. I gave you my answer on that. They will wait and see how this goes. But I asked you what you are in favor of not what you are neutral about.

But I guess at least you told me that the EU is NOT something you want to see burn down for the LOLZ. :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 07:32:27 AM
By the way can somebody explain to me why Gibraltar voted in the referendum but the Isle of Mann did not?  :wacko:

No, it is best to quote Lord Palmerston who spoke on the similarly complicated Schleswig-Holstein Question :

"Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business—the Prince Consort, who is dead—a German professor, who has gone mad—and I, who have forgotten all about it"

OttoVonBismarck

Maybe because the Isle of Man is a crown dependency and not a British Overseas Teritory? So the Isle essentially isn't part of the United Kingdom, it is a personal fiefdom of the monarch, but the Westminster parliament os responsible for it in the small number of areas where the Island isn't responsible for its own affairs.

OttoVonBismarck

If America had been built on such weak foundations as the United Kingdom North America's map would look like Europe today.

Legbiter

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 07:36:13 AM

No, it is best to quote Lord Palmerston who spoke on the similarly complicated Schleswig-Holstein Question :

"Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business—the Prince Consort, who is dead—a German professor, who has gone mad—and I, who have forgotten all about it"

:lol:

Sheilbh

The Isle of Man isn't in the EU which is something they're very proud of.

The Isle of Man only abolished corporal punishment in the late 90s due to a European Court of Human Rights ruling. That, and no doubt other factors, turned the Manx off anything European forever.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2016, 07:39:52 AM
If America had been built on such weak foundations as the United Kingdom North America's map would look like Europe today.

Yeah. They seem to have chosen a path of national self destruction.

Not for leaving the EU so much as this plebiscite business.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2016, 07:40:21 AM
The Isle of Man only abolished corporal punishment in the late 90s due to a European Court of Human Rights ruling. That, and no doubt other factors, turned the Manx off anything European forever.

They dare remove their right to savage beatings? How uncivilized.

Richard Hakluyt

Man is not in the EU.

As Otto say it is a crown dependency whereas Gib is a British Overseas territory. However, other British Overseas territories did not get to vote. According to what they said on the BBC referendum program Gibraltar got to vote on the issue due to a personal intervention by Cameron, on the basis that leaving the EU would have such a big effect on them.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2016, 07:43:15 AM
Man is not in the EU.

As Otto say it is a crown dependency whereas Gib is a British Overseas territory. However, other British Overseas territories did not get to vote. According to what they said on the BBC referendum program Gibraltar got to vote on the issue due to a personal intervention by Cameron, on the basis that leaving the EU would have such a big effect on them.

Oh well it all makes perfect sense now.

:unsure:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2016, 07:41:59 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2016, 07:40:21 AM

They dare remove their right to savage beatings? How uncivilized.
The Manx are a strange people. They still leave offerings like silk ribbons to the faeries in certain areas of the island. It's best if we don't interfere in their ways and they don't interfere in ours :mellow:

Mongers you asked about % of foreign born residents. That and other stats here :mmm:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-live-results-and-analysis
Let's bomb Russia!