Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Admiral Yi

One silver lining to this debacle is that y'all are making the US look better by comparison.

I'm bracing for carnage in financial markets tomorrow.

Monoriu

Can David Cameron be saved? :unsure:  This is the time for the Conservative party to show loyalty, unity and camaraderie.

Valmy

In any case at least it is a pretty decisive vote for leave.

The British continually seem to wiff on predicting these elections. First the Tories sweep into office after it was supposedly going to be close and now this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

I think Cameron won't want to be "saved", I think he will want out.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2016, 09:36:46 PM
One silver lining to this debacle is that y'all are making the US look better by comparison.

If this is the state of.modern people..... I'd say this is a good prediction for the us election. Enjoy trump.
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Tyr on June 23, 2016, 09:39:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2016, 09:36:46 PM

If this is the state of.modern people..... I'd say this is a good prediction for the us election. Enjoy trump.

Yes, this, as long as Trump is the nominee of the party I've been a member of my entire life America has very little to make it look good by comparison.

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2016, 09:38:56 PM
Can David Cameron be saved? :unsure:  This is the time for the Conservative party to show loyalty, unity and camaraderie.

How do you show qualities you never had in the first place?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 23, 2016, 09:27:07 PM
QuoteDPRK News Service
DPRK News Service –  ‏@DPRK_News

English queen Elizabeth, released as David Cameron hostage from Tower of London, gives thanks to Marshal Kim Jong-Un for aiding revolution.
6:15 PM - 23 Jun 2016
156 RETWEETS143 LIKES

The parody account also announces the moving of the Capital to Wolverhampton.

That is Twitter's best account, by far.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 09:34:44 PMWasn't it representative organizations that wrote the entire constitution to begin with? To claim they do not have that right is to undermine their legitimacy as representatives. The Scottish parliament voted in the join the UK did they not? Surely you do not hold that the UK is an illegitimate body?
No but I think the people give their power to a representative body every election - and can take it back by storming prisons or other symbols of state power :P

I actually think the Scottish Parliament's vote probably was illegitimate due to the massive amount of vote buying, but such was the customs of the time. That, like the limited franchise, is of that time. It's not an eternal binding thing. I think it's odd to say that the people surrendered their power to x group of white men and have lost it forever.

QuoteIn the US the Constitution was approved by the representatives not a plebiscite.
Well the UK constitution's an odder beast. If we were to ever have a proper written constitution (which I'd probably support) I think we'd need a referendum. This generation of representatives wouldn't be able to wipe out that body of law without the approval of the people

But do you think that a party winning like Fidesz has in Hungary in the US would enable them to re-write the constitution?
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Half a million votes down now.  Not even a miracle can save us. 

OttoVonBismarck

Man, this night is going to have major consequences for the world order.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 09:35:43 PM
Yep.
But as Otto says in theory for Parliament to change the constitution takes 50%+1 of MPs votes. There are no further checks and balances, I think the people over the last 40 years have maybe become our check and balance on that power.

In Northern Ireland, on devolution, on the voting system and on Europe we have a referendum.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malicious Intent

Well, I guess it's party time in the Kremlin.  :(

mongers

New Forest

Leave 57.8%
64,541 VOTES
Remain 42.2%
47,199 VOTES

Turnout: 79.2%

:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2016, 09:42:29 PM
I think it's odd to say that the people surrendered their power to x group of white men and have lost it forever.

No they just elect different representatives, maybe non-white non-men in the next election. How does representative government mean something is set in stone forever? I mean it seems that way with the US Constitution but you know :P

You wanted examples of dramatic constitutional change decided by representatives so I provided some. Seems rather poor sporting to then say 'but that was then!' I mean what chance does that give me? :lol:

QuoteBut do you think that a party winning like Fidesz has in Hungary in the US would enable them to re-write the constitution?

If they somehow seized 2/3rds control of the House and 38 State legislatures then yeah. Clearly they have pretty overwhelming public support to do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."