Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Italy less so. Flat lining growth for the best part of twenty years is an issue.

In city-watching-exit-poll-guessing news, Deutsche have just announced a big reorganisation of their Germany commercial wing in Frankfurt :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

You guys really don't understand that things down South work in spite of institutions/protocols/planning as opposed to because of them.

That is something I see a lot of when dealing with German engineers, for example. They expect everything to follow the plan (and try to plan for everything), they protest loudly if they are assigned to some task they are not trained for. A Spanish engineer just makes do.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 11:58:31 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 23, 2016, 11:52:44 AM
The british were wrong not to join the original 6, the French where wrong to block the brits. Twice.
France should never be allowed to be a position where it can dominate (or even attempt to) the continent.

Was he? He had an odd and old fashioned way of looking at things but he sensed the British would never really want to be part of a European Confederation/Federation/Brotherhood of Nations blah blah. This issue is playing out here.

But as for France never being allowed to rule the continent like a Napoleonic Empire...I mean FFS which country do you think should be allowed? Talk about odd and old fashioned thinking.
The French are not much better than the brits when it comes to being part of a European superstate in production.

As for dominance: just image the EU building it's unified market without the British (or rather Thatcher).

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 23, 2016, 01:16:27 PM
The French are not much better than the brits when it comes to being part of a European superstate in production.

True. But for other more Frenchy reasons. The reasons that tend to get the French in trouble in general: the belief that statecraft is about getting the best deal for France rather something more farsighted.

QuoteAs for dominance: just image the EU building it's unified market without the British (or rather Thatcher).

Well it kind of has built something without the British, the Eurozone. It has issues but French domination is not one of them.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

So was the rain today a Bremain plot or a roguish move by Brexit?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 01:35:19 PM

God is an Englishman; as the English must he just likes the rain.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 01:59:56 PM

I doubt anyone liked the situation with the trains today. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

God is everywhere so he doesn't need to commute.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 02:04:28 PM

I think he's busy playing dead.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 02:02:21 PM

I always found "late train - more time to read"; how can anyone object to that, especially in the era of the Kindle? :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 02:05:47 PM

How do you figure? He just made it rain. :P

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 02:09:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 02:05:47 PM

How do you figure? He just made it rain. :P

Oh God doesn't make it rain, sweetie.

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on June 23, 2016, 02:07:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 02:02:21 PM

I always found "late train - more time to read"; how can anyone object to that, especially in the era of the Kindle? :hmm:

Generally, I find it more enjoyable to spend time at my destination rather than in transit.

Besides when commuting it is either preventing you from making it to work or preventing you from relaxing at home.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 02:09:36 PM

So you are saying it is...I don't know...cannot think of anybody in particular...

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 02:11:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2016, 02:09:36 PM

So you are saying it is...I don't know...cannot think of anybody in particular...