Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Larch

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 09, 2016, 03:47:35 AM
Very true.

Besides, even in quieter times, the UK's relationship with the EU has always been a contentious issue.

Gups

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 09, 2016, 03:38:46 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 09, 2016, 03:31:52 AM
Even if it's non binding, it has such a high profile that ignoring the result is political suicide, I guess.

I would expect endless discussion, committees, and delays until it stops being so high-profile if they are looking to nullify the referendum, rather than outright ignoring it.

No chance. If the vote is for Brexit, we will leave, within two years.

Richard Hakluyt

Agree with Gups, there will be zero tolerance for ignoring the result.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I think all referendums are technically non-binding because Parliament.

As with the Scottish referendum, doesn't mean it's actually non-binding.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Just saw a line in the FT. 'The bookies are confident the UK will vote to remain, but less confident than they were that there would be no overall majority last May.'

Oh good.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Paddy Power is offering 10/3 on the leave vote.

By comparison, Donald Trump becoming the next POTUS is 9/4.

Martinus

Incidentally, Boris Johnson as the next prime minister of the UK is also at 9/4.  :ph34r:

Tamas

I hope in case of a Brexit, Cameron resigns, so the hardest period of 2 years negotiations and initial guaranteed economic decline can happen under Boris' reign. He wanted it so much, he should deal with it.

Sheilbh

Cameron wouldn't last seconds if Brexit win. It won't even be easy for him to stay much longer if remain wins.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2016, 06:58:36 AM
I hope in case of a Brexit, Cameron resigns, so the hardest period of 2 years negotiations and initial guaranteed economic decline can happen under Boris' reign. He wanted it so much, he should deal with it.

The Tory leadership rules require MP's to vote on who they want as leader. The top 2 go through to a vote by the membership.

The trouble for Boris is that he's even more despised by most Tory MPs than he is popular with the membership. He has very little chance of getting through to the last two unless there is a deficiency of candidates.

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2016, 07:12:13 AM
Cameron wouldn't last seconds if Brexit win. It won't even be easy for him to stay much longer if remain wins.

What happened to party loyalty :weep:

Sheilbh

:lol: Famous last words of every Tory leader.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I caught this morning on BBC One a questions-answers thing they did in a village, a woman asked that since "pressure on the NHS due to all the migrants" is a big Leave argument, are they planning to expel all the EU immigrants upon leaving, or how else Brexit is supposed to de-pressurise the NHS?

I loved the pro-Leave guy's comment which described the situation that nothing would happen for two years while the leaving is negotiated, and then what he said amounted to "then we will see" :D

Splendid.

Zanza

Is there some major crisis of the NHS or why is the EU membership always contrasted with more investment into the NHS? Our healthcare system is currently not really in any kind of political focus, so I am surprised it seems such a huge issue in Britain right now.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on June 09, 2016, 08:58:36 AM
Is there some major crisis of the NHS or why is the EU membership always contrasted with more investment into the NHS? Our healthcare system is currently not really in any kind of political focus, so I am surprised it seems such a huge issue in Britain right now.

Yes, the NHS has been having quite an issue with budgets and expenditures. Definitely a big thing on the political agenda in the UK.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.