Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

When my best friend got married a group of us (including him) wore fedoras to the wedding and reception. A lot of people concluded we were Jewish and for some the misconception lasted years  :lol:

People from the Middle East can be just as pale as Europeans and certainly paler than many Spaniards or Portuguese....so a lot of the time it is just cultural and clothing cues that are being used.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 20, 2020, 10:18:56 AM
Has to be asked. Garbon, have you encountered any police dodginess in your life?

Yes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2020, 11:21:56 AM
Yeah I have a friend who normally has a beard but also gets mistaken as Arab/Israeli when he's been in the Middle East. Lots of people chatting to him in Arabic or Hebrew before realising he's a foreigner. As far as he can tell, he has generations of family from a relatively small area of Norfolk - so no idea how :lol:

He lives in New York and has had issues both with the NYPD and border control.

I was detained briefly for questioning at the Vienna airport after I let my facial grow out a bit (i have a dark skinned ME appearance). 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2020, 11:50:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2020, 11:21:56 AM
Yeah I have a friend who normally has a beard but also gets mistaken as Arab/Israeli when he's been in the Middle East. Lots of people chatting to him in Arabic or Hebrew before realising he's a foreigner. As far as he can tell, he has generations of family from a relatively small area of Norfolk - so no idea how :lol:

He lives in New York and has had issues both with the NYPD and border control.

I was detained briefly for questioning at the Vienna airport after I let my facial grow out a bit (i have a dark skinned ME appearance).

Really? I wouldn't say so.  :hmm:

On my visit to NY I was sent to a Homeland Security room for a while when I was flagged for something during passport control.

Sheilbh

I don't know about the experience with UK border control - but I have some friends who've had some absolute horror stories with US border control. Given the sort of age of my friends they've mainly been in the last few years so I don't know how many are kind of long-standing issues and how many are just reflective of this administration and the sort of power the border control agents feel they have.

My favourite experience is Georgia where they stamp your passport and give you a small bottle of wine to welcome you to Georgia :lol:

Edit: And the only time I went to the US was about 15 years ago in the middle of blizzard in NY where my flight was delayed so people were just really getting us moving through because it was about 2 in the morning and no one wanted to be there.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

I think my easiest time going through customs was coming off the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles.  I bought a bunch of native art while driving down Vancouver Island, and was sure I would need to declare it, and had all the forms ready.  Once we drove off the ferry...there really was no place for CBP to hold you up, and they just waved me through before I could submit my carefully prepared documents.  :(

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2020, 11:40:03 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 20, 2020, 10:18:56 AM
Has to be asked. Garbon, have you encountered any police dodginess in your life?

Yes.

So... Insights? Is the UK as bad as the US or...?
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

Since this has become the de facto British thread:

The National Trust aims to reduce its cultural thrust and sacks its top experts:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/national-trust-to-scrap-its-experts-hdmzlqbhd?fbclid=IwAR3914EcU497MRo5fPiJAR7Qe3ZvLREPlEH_hn1VJ1G0eMsvSjy6-ZqXhlY

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Got to say, in that photo he looks quite like your stereotypical gammon.
Were he born into less favourable circumstances....
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on August 20, 2020, 11:18:07 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 20, 2020, 10:37:30 AM
I know a guy that was racially profiled by the NYPD because his dark skin and beard made him look like an Arab (he's a Spaniard).

My uncle (Irish descent) got racially profiled as Spanish in Spain. They thought he was hanging out in the British tourist bars for no good reason.

Some Basque once spoke Basque to me while in the Basque country at a train station!  :o

Tonitrus

Someone asked me for directions (I think) in French while in Paris. 

I've always presumed that by look/dress my appearance would scream "American".  :sleep:

Iormlund

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 22, 2020, 06:33:10 AM
Some Basque once spoke Basque to me while in the Basque country at a train station!  :o

Might have pegged you for a Spaniard and was meant as a Fuck off furriner! sign. I've witnessed those in Catalonia.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Iormlund on August 22, 2020, 10:05:20 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 22, 2020, 06:33:10 AM

Might have pegged you for a Spaniard and was meant as a Fuck off furriner! sign. I've witnessed those in Catalonia.

:hmm:

He did not seem unfriendly. As for Catalonia, since a not too difficult Romance language, it's not really comparable IMO.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 22, 2020, 07:10:20 AM
Someone asked me for directions (I think) in French while in Paris. 

I've always presumed that by look/dress my appearance would scream "American".  :sleep:

An Italian asked me for help in French in Copenhagen. Except she couldn't really speak French either.