Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

HVC

Maybe. I just figured it was a 70s thing. Canada had carpets everywhere too. That and weirdly coloured kitchen appliances.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on August 04, 2020, 05:18:04 PM
Maybe. I just figured it was a 70s thing. Canada had carpets everywhere too. That and weirdly coloured kitchen appliances.
:lol: We did once live in a house with an avocado bathroom suite :bleeding: :weep:

Needless to say my parents replaced that very quickly :lol: I feel like they were designed for a carpeted floor.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Do British kitchens have the appliances integrated into the furniture or are stove and/or fridge typically separate?

Tonitrus

Mine are integrated...it seems to be popular in modern, high-end remodels here.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on August 04, 2020, 05:24:23 PM
Do British kitchens have the appliances integrated into the furniture or are stove and/or fridge typically separate?
A mix. Generally in places I've lived cookers are integrated, but fridges are spearate.

But if you are renting then the white goods are always included. I feel like in Germany - or maybe just Berlin you often get places where it's just the sink unit and cooker but no fridge etc? Or is that wrong?
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Do you guys really have washers and dryers (for clothes) in your kitchens? That's weird.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on August 04, 2020, 05:18:04 PM

Not 70s more like a 50s thing.  By the 70s I am pretty sure it was a health code violation.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2020, 06:43:13 PM
Do you guys really have washers and dryers (for clothes) in your kitchens? That's weird.
:lol: This was up there with the lack of kettles in surprises for friends who've moved to New York.

In fairness in houses people often have utility rooms like in the US....right? But almost every flat will have a washing machine in the kitchen - laundromats are rare.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

The carpeted bathroom is very rare, think I have only seen it once. The lack of utility rooms is a space issue, as usua;, nearly all medium and above sized houses will have one.............because it would be mad not to  :P

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 04, 2020, 05:28:17 PM
Quote from: Zanza on August 04, 2020, 05:24:23 PM
A mix. Generally in places I've lived cookers are integrated, but fridges are spearate.

But if you are renting then the white goods are always included. I feel like in Germany - or maybe just Berlin you often get places where it's just the sink unit and cooker but no fridge etc? Or is that wrong?
Apparently it differs from city to city in Germany. Some cities have very high rates of kitchens as part of the apartment, others less. It's also not unusual that renters pay for a kitchen and then sell it to the next renter, but that is very risky and removes many of the advantages of renting...

Tamas

It is a little weird but doesn't even come close to the Americans thinking apartments are fine without washing machines. Damn.

In Hungary washing machines in flats are in the bathrooms, probably because we have had less strict electrical safety regulations.

Nobody ever would put carpets in bathrooms though, central heating or not. Might as well just move in to a cave and grow mushrooms for a living. Same end result, less hussle. :P

Valmy

Well I guess that is true. I didn't have a washing machine inside my place until I was 32, around the time Languish 1.0 died.

The apartment complex usually had a place or there would be a nearby laundrymat.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

The avocado bathroom suites are revolting........but..........at some time in the past people spent a lot of money installing them  :hmm:

I try and identify the "avocado bathroom suite" of today, I think it is laminate flooring.......a ghastly compromise by people who hate fitted carpets but can't afford to get a proper wooden floor sorted.

The Brain

In Sweden washing machines in apartments are in the bathroom. Handling dirty underwear in the kitchen Brit-style has always seemed a bit yuk to me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Where do you have it? :unsure:
I thought that was the norm.

Though Japan's placement in the bathroom does make more sense.
██████
██████
██████