Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Valmy

In a house it is in a utility room. In an apartment (if it has one) it will be in a closet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Threviel

Quote from: The Brain on August 05, 2020, 01:47:31 AM
In Sweden washing machines in apartments are in the bathroom. Handling dirty underwear in the kitchen Brit-style has always seemed a bit yuk to me.

In better and self-owned apartments yes. For rented apartments there's normally a communal utility room in the basement that can be booked in 4-hour installments.

If you want your own washing machine you normally have to pay for it yourself and install it in the bath room.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2020, 02:18:39 AM
In a house it is in a utility room. In an apartment (if it has one) it will be in a closet.

The cupboard being in the kitchen?

And guess this goes for non mansion homes too
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on August 05, 2020, 02:23:07 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 05, 2020, 01:47:31 AM
In Sweden washing machines in apartments are in the bathroom. Handling dirty underwear in the kitchen Brit-style has always seemed a bit yuk to me.

In better and self-owned apartments yes. For rented apartments there's normally a communal utility room in the basement that can be booked in 4-hour installments.

If you want your own washing machine you normally have to pay for it yourself and install it in the bath room.

A communal utility room is standard regardless of rent or own. At least everywhere I've lived there has been one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

In more modest homes, I've seen them in garages.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I've seen washing machines in kitchens, bathrooms, and occasionally in dedicated laundry rooms. A lot of apartment buildings (like mine) also have a communal laundry room (which I use).

As for kitchens, most apartments have a fully furnished one Vienna; in Genossenschaftswohnungen they're often selected and paid for by the tenant, and they will sell it on to the next tenants, but the whole setup is more complicated. Occasionally you'll see a kitchen without fridge or stovetop but it's rare.

Every once in a while you might still see a substandard apartment with a shower cabin in the kitchen :x , but they're pretty much extinct, often under 30 square meters (about 322 square ft).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2020, 03:26:29 AM

In more modest homes, I've seen them in garages.

A modest home with a garage. Maybe you should check something, American.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

- My parent's home (a large house) has it's own laundry/utility room.

- My first apartment in San Antonia (recently built in 2006) had the hookups in a "closet" off of the outside deck/patio (so you had to walk "outside" to do laundry).  :wacko:

- First duplex I rented in Alaska had them a stacked unit in the bathroom.

- Apartment after that (California) had to use the community laundry room.

- Baltimore/base housing, was a closet between living room and downstairs bathroom.

- Alaska again/first apartment, community laundry room.  Then a condo with them in a closet off of the kitchen.

- UK: Not in the kitchen!  (this place actually has a utility room).

Sheilbh

Yeah - it's weird because I don't mind washing clothes in the kitchen like Brain said but I find shared/common washing facilities a bit gross, especially if it's not just flatmates but the general public/your university halls of residence :x
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

I had a friend that claimed his washing a few times smelled of shit, due to previous user washing diapers.

celedhring

Over here:

- small-ish apartment: bathroom
- large-ish apartment or house: laundry room or gallery (where you also have the clotheslines)

My parents have it in the garage. Which is also common if you own a house with one.

Tamas

The Guardian is really, really, really trying to drum up opposition against the new planning laws. There's a new article every two days, envisioning the collapse of British life as we know it. Latest one:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/05/englands-planning-reforms-will-create-generation-of-slums

I think this could mean two things: either it is indeed a terrible thing, or a genuine solution to the housing crisis and they want to make sure people will not credit it as such.

Tamas

My favourite reason for doom and gloom from that article is:

QuoteRequiring local housing plans to be developed and agreed in 30 months, down from the current seven years.

SEVEN YEARS. I had no idea local authorities could sit on your plans for SEVEN YEARS.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on August 06, 2020, 03:45:36 AM
My favourite reason for doom and gloom from that article is:

QuoteRequiring local housing plans to be developed and agreed in 30 months, down from the current seven years.

SEVEN YEARS. I had no idea local authorities could sit on your plans for SEVEN YEARS.

It seems to me that that means the time that a local authority has to produce a housing plan, not that they can stop housing developments for seven years.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on August 06, 2020, 03:41:19 AM
The Guardian is really, really, really trying to drum up opposition against the new planning laws. There's a new article every two days, envisioning the collapse of British life as we know it. Latest one:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/05/englands-planning-reforms-will-create-generation-of-slums

I think this could mean two things: either it is indeed a terrible thing, or a genuine solution to the housing crisis and they want to make sure people will not credit it as such.
I mean it's the Guardian and it's a Tory government. Of course they're going to really oppose, it's the left-liberal paper. I've no idea whether these are good ideas or not, but my starting point is that we need to build more so things that make that easier are good.

I did note this line:
QuoteHugh Ellis, director of policy at TCPA, criticised the reforms overall, saying: "This kind of disruptive reform doesn't suit anybody, neither landowners nor developers. They're turning the system on its head at a time when it's working very well for the volume house builders – 90% of planning applications are approved and there are about a million unbuilt permissions."
:lol: The two genders.
Let's bomb Russia!