Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2020, 11:28:27 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 03, 2020, 11:26:02 AM
If they sweetened the deal with Gibraltar, maybe...  :shifty:

In any case the UK seems to be quite universaly disliked, and even amongst the ones that'd support it, the numbers aren't exactly spectacular.

Quite a weird set of results.
It confirms everything I've suspected through watching Eurovision since the Iraq War :(

It's not as if the acts you've sent have actually helped at all.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2020, 11:29:40 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 03, 2020, 11:27:31 AM
And Belgium...and Finland...and Luxembourg..
Everyone should legitimately hate Luxembourg - enablers of massive tax-dodging and if they've got a real crisis they should just join France <_<

Hey France tried to buy it and Bismarck LIED!!!11 Or at least greatly misrepresented his position on the topic when it suited him :P

Fucker.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 03, 2020, 11:33:29 AM
Hey France tried to buy it and Bismarck LIED!!!11 Or at least greatly misrepresented his position on the topic when it suited him :P

Fucker.
What's the world come to if you can't trust *checks notes* Otto von Bismarck?

QuoteIt's not as if the acts you've sent have actually helped at all.  :P
:lol: Mistakes were made.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2020, 11:38:16 AM
What's the world come to if you can't trust *checks notes* Otto von Bismarck?

Certainly not the world Napoleon III thought he was living in, that is for sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2020, 10:51:09 AM
So YouGov did a survey on European countries' willingness to help other countries in a crisis. It's fairly complicated but kind of interesting. UK is broadly willing to help everyone, most European countries are lss keen to help the UK. And Hungary has some exceptionally random dislikes: Portugal, Estonia, Ireland, Sweden etc :lol:
[img]https://pbs.
Edit: Also, well done Romania :)

Edit: And really interested in the UK's views on Lithuania which is, by a fair way, the lowest ranked European country.
Very surprised to see that the UK is one of the least cunty nations :blink:

And why does everyone hate Japan?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2020, 11:53:49 AM
And why does everyone hate Japan?
Japan = far away and rich.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on August 03, 2020, 11:23:04 AM
The Greeks' antypathy for Germany seems to be deep rooted at this point.

Cue the V for Varoufakis song.

Also, Hungary seems to be all over the place.

It doesn't make any sense. Most useless poll ever.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on August 03, 2020, 11:23:04 AM
Also, Hungary seems to be all over the place.

Not after Trianon. Amirite?

Tamas

Quotehe most extraordinary upheaval in modern British government is to be introduced this week by Boris Johnson. He is, in effect, to end planning permission. Local councils and those they represent are to be stripped of control over new buildings, to be replaced by central government "zoning" commissions. At the weekend, the housing secretary, Robert Jenrick, promised a "change in a generation". It is more than that. It ends half a century of regulation of England's landscape and urban development.

The proposed reform will release building rights anywhere outside existing national parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty. Though it promises "protection" to other countryside, there is no conceivable way a new commission can review and "register" every acre for protection. This will unleash the sprawl seen across many countries in the rest of Europe, with owners able to build over their land at will – erecting houses, sheds, advertisements, car parks. It will unleash frantic land speculation in the south-east, and further accelerate the "race to the south". We can forget Johnson's "levelling up" pledge.

ANARCHY IN THE UK

Sheilbh

Christ that's huge :o :blink:

Don't know what I think of it yet but I am generally in favour of building more.

Edit: Frankly I'm just waiting to see what the Campaign to Protect Rural England say so that I can automatically and strongly take the opposite position :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

It is one way of solving the housing/jobs mismatch; have nearly all the growth of both in SE England and let the rest of the country become retirementland. A lot of villages in the home counties will not be so nice to live in though........further evidence that this government detests the middle class  :P

The Brain

:o

You will still be forced to have the fake fireplace in the living room though, right? Right? :unsure:

Tamas

I know it can go bad in the long run but what that article tried to describe as the end of the world I actually quite liked.  :lol:

All the little adjustments he proposes have been constantly mentioned year after year since I have been here. I don't know if there is a genuine desire from the government to ease the property bubble (I doubt it) but if we ever to see that happening it must be through changes like this.