Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2019, 02:26:28 AMI'm somewhat curious how Lily sorts Brexit. I hope it has to do with boobs.

I'm sure it has more support than Boris' plan.  :P

Re: Hypothetical violence against MPs, I wonder if they count the milkshake throwing as part of it?  :hmm: Surely they don't mean it all going into Jo Cox territory, right?

Josquius

Undoubtedly a well thought out "let's just leave then it's done innit".
But I do want to turn to page 3 :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

So looks like the opposition does not agree to new elections before no deal is formally excluded - however that should work as the only way to exclude it is to put an obligation to revoke into law.

Johnson is sulking and has drawn all legislation including WAB, budget etc. from parliament.

So Britain basically does not have a functional government and parliament anymore as the government refuses to govern and parliament refuses to legislate.

Josquius

It's just insane that we've gotten to this stage. After the explicit promises of the leave campaign that no deal was just project fear its now their plan A.
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Isn't the deadline next week? Does that mean anything?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2019, 11:18:05 AM
It's just insane that we've gotten to this stage. After the explicit promises of the leave campaign that no deal was just project fear its now their plan A.

It's been that for quite some time; remember the no-deal exit is a means to a greater end, not the consequent economic damage, but the entrenchment of political power for Johnson et al. 

The end (of the UK) justifies this mess. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 25, 2019, 05:13:16 PM

To UK political discourse? No.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 25, 2019, 05:13:16 PM
No. And Zanza's summary is right. As someone put it, the deadlock is now deadlocked.

Edit: Though I query how long this will last for. Corbyn wants an election.

Edit: The one slightly weird thing about Johnson's position is there does seem to a fairly large number of people who think he actually could pass the deal without any "wrecking" amendments. But I think politically Downing Street have decided an election is the better option. Presumably because they think they can win and then pass the deal more easily?
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It's looking like brexit is going to work out exactly the way I expected and lexiters are proven fools

BBC News - Brexit: 'Fears confirmed' over rights at work, says Labour
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50194676
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

We can look forward to being a small shabby imitation of the US if the current government gets its way  :mad:

Richard Hakluyt

Interview with that protestor who hangs around outside parliament and photo-bombs BBC interviews :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/27/anti-brexit-activist-steve-bray-mr-stop-brexit-parliament

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Sheilbh

Corbyn to Johnson: "He said he'd die in a ditch. Another broken promise."

One of my favourite political lines, attacking the Prime Minister for continuing to be alive :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 28, 2019, 12:35:48 PM
Corbyn to Johnson: "He said he'd die in a ditch. Another broken promise."

One of my favourite political lines, attacking the Prime Minister for continuing to be alive :lol:

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Maybe the two letters thing (one signed, one an unsigned photocopy of the annual Brexit extension law) could become part of the ritual.