Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

DUP seem angry. I think they could be quite unpredictable in the next few days :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I'm totally ignorant on the political consequences but that Letwin ammendment seems entirely reasonable.

Sheilbh

So government lost because of the 10 DUP votes. Turns out a movement with the slogan "no surrender" is difficult to negotiate with.

Edit: And this is the worst reason to do something or not, but, loyalists planning large meeting next week and proposing civil unrest if the deal passes :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on October 19, 2019, 08:04:09 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 19, 2019, 07:59:12 AM
Show down in the Commons happening today.  :bowler:

Pretty good so far

Yes good parliamentary theatre.  (NB I can't see the image you posted)

But also hugely significant, Boris must now bend to the will of parliament or be broken/ arrested / freed from the confines of No.10 by an army of DM grannies and granddads?  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2019, 08:52:47 AM
So government lost because of the 10 DUP votes. Turns out a movement with the slogan "no surrender" is difficult to negotiate with.

Edit: And this is the worst reason to do something or not, but, loyalists planning large meeting next week and proposing civil unrest if the deal passes :(

I think they were always happiest with that, so Troubles 2.0 it is?

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on October 19, 2019, 09:29:19 AM
Quote from: Maladict on October 19, 2019, 08:04:09 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 19, 2019, 07:59:12 AM
Show down in the Commons happening today.  :bowler:

Pretty good so far

Yes good parliamentary theatre.  (NB I can't see the image you posted)

I was having some popcorn while enjoying the show.

Had to chuckle when Boris downplayed the significance as the vote was pretty close. I guess it was something like 52%?

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on October 19, 2019, 09:36:27 AM

I was having some popcorn while enjoying the show.

Had to chuckle when Boris downplayed the significance as the vote was pretty close. I guess is was something like 52%?

:Yes:

Good point, Mal.

(Thanks I see it now I've changed to a different browser.)

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on October 19, 2019, 09:31:24 AM

Apparently the DUP were trying to talk them down, but I've seen several references to this being like the Anglo-Irish Agreement in 1985 ("never, never, never") and talk of this as a "final betrayal".  For example this from someone with loyalist links: "Maggie Thatcher signed the Anglo-Irish Agreement & regretted it for the rest of her life. This betrayal is even worse- Parliament is trying to do in one month what the IRA couldn't do in 30 years of murderous terrorism. Unionists/loyalists won't be going meekly under the bus."

And this rather ominous line from a former BBC NI Security correspondent, "loyalists are exploring ways for their concerns to be heard outside Northern Ireland and that a "mechanism/means" to achieve this is currently being explored" :(

Though it is worth pointing out that while Lord Trimble backed the deal even Dame Sylvia Hermon who is the most moderate unionist voice has opposed this deal (I think she supported the whole-UK backstop which May negotiated).
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2019, 09:44:33 AM

Apparently the DUP were trying to talk them down, but I've seen several references to this being like the Anglo-Irish Agreement in 1985 ("never, never, never") and talk of this as a "final betrayal".  For example this from someone with loyalist links: "Maggie Thatcher signed the Anglo-Irish Agreement & regretted it for the rest of her life. This betrayal is even worse- Parliament is trying to do in one month what the IRA couldn't do in 30 years of murderous terrorism. Unionists/loyalists won't be going meekly under the bus."

And this rather ominous line from a former BBC NI Security correspondent, "loyalists are exploring ways for their concerns to be heard outside Northern Ireland and that a "mechanism/means" to achieve this is currently being explored" :(

Though it is worth pointing out that while Lord Trimble backed the deal even Dame Sylvia Hermon who is the most moderate unionist voice has opposed this deal (I think she supported the whole-UK backstop which May negotiated).

S. , thanks for that; easier for them to march the Troops up to the top of the hill (bonfire) , then it will be to talk them back down again. *

* my offering for the 2019 Languish mixed metaphor awards.

Sheilbh

That could've been Ian Paisley's epitaph.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Does Troubles 2.0 mean the Irish Army and Garda join the fun, if the UK or Great Little England gets fed up with dealing with Northern Ireland?  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Interestingly, DUP have flagged that they'll examine every amendment. And there's some chat they might back a referendum, which would be a hilariously appropriate end to this :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

So what does this mean that, what do they mean by all legislations? Pass the laws that make the changes made necessary by the deal, then vote on the deal itself? what if they vote it down after that?

garbon

I foolishly had lunch plans today right on the path of the EU protest. Made good use of my knowledge of backstreets around Green Park though. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.