Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

QuoteBrexit: UK has rolled over just £16bn out of £117bn trade deals
Liam Fox has agreed deals with only seven of 69 countries covered by EU arrangements

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2019, 05:25:59 PM
Though importantly they did discuss fly-tipping and food waste.   :huh:

Is fly-tipping a big problem in the UK?  In the US, any attempt to tip flies results in them just flying away.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 13, 2019, 08:23:25 AM
Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2019, 05:25:59 PM
Though importantly they did discuss fly-tipping and food waste.   :huh:

Is fly-tipping a big problem in the UK?  In the US, any attempt to tip flies results in them just flying away.

Pretty sure that I killed a few flies that way, bub.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/13/kicking-up-dust-little-sign-of-progress-in-uk-eu-talks

So the EU says the British are only 'pretending to negotiate' to run down the clock. Everybody seems resigned to no deal.

Razgovory

Can grocery stores and drug stores do anything to prevent shortages.  People could die if there is even a temporary shortage of medicines.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

People will die.
It is known.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on February 13, 2019, 04:33:48 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/13/kicking-up-dust-little-sign-of-progress-in-uk-eu-talks

So the EU says the British are only 'pretending to negotiate' to run down the clock. Everybody seems resigned to no deal.

When one of the UK's leading negotiators is caught basically admitting that while having drinks in a Brussels bar then it's fair for the EU to stop taking the UK seriously and/or in good faith in these "negotiations" right now.

dps

Quote from: Tyr on February 14, 2019, 03:46:11 AM
People will die.
It is known.

Yep, all of us, eventually.

mongers

More stupidity today, the 'government' lost a vote, stabbed in the back by the hardline Brexiteers/ERG, May didn't have the courage to appear in the commons as the vote was announced, so Corbyn made hay.   <_<

Rumours are some labour MPs are about (within the next 2-4 weeks) to leave the party.   :bowler:

I think there's one remaining chance for anti-No deal MPs to mount a coup against both leaders and move a successful motion to rule out an no deal brexit, hopefully. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

I don't regard the chaos in the commons as a bad thing. The problem is an utterly incompetent government and a comprehensively useless official opposition. While it might be convenient in the short term for the commons to rubberstamp government plans I think it would create greater long term damage by completely discrediting our system of government.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on February 13, 2019, 11:15:27 PM
Can grocery stores and drug stores do anything to prevent shortages.  People could die if there is even a temporary shortage of medicines.

I would assume that they could stock extra inventory ahead of Brexit (though obviously some things can't really be ordered too much ahead or they will just go to waste).  But if they haven't already done so, it might be too late.  I'm not totally convinced that there will actually be shortages of foods and medicines, but if I were running a grocery store or drug store in the UK, I'd certainly plan on the possibility. 

Razgovory

I'm not convinced either, and even if there are shortage it might be just minor things like flowers or ginger.  Still, if there is a possibility of a shortage of vital goods it should be taken very seriously.

Honestly I don't know what will happen with Brexit.  I don't think anyone does.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I wouldn't see starving on the streets. But I think on medicines et al there will be shortages if the government stupidly barrels ahead.
There's just too much necessary and reliant on very fragile supply chains
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I refuse to be interested in this latest "shock defeat" - a meaningless bill to support in spirit what we already knew the MPs don't want to be seen supporting (can also be called reality).

Plus, of course it got defeated. It was a Brexit-related bill to support something. It should have been against something and then it would have gotten a majority.

Meanwhile there's no negotiation with the EU and no progress on, well anything.

Ultimately, unfortunate or not, at this moment in time the best option is May's deal. As a friend of mine aptly put it: MPs rejecting it now is like a drowning man in the sea refusing a rescue boat, insisting to wait for a ship to pick him up.