Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Oexmelin

This is what struck me over Christmas in the UK: just how much contempt for Europe had replaced knowledge about Europe. Such an astonishing misreading both of the UK and of the Union, apparently fueled by a very Trumpian sentiment of being the powerful dupe of conniving weaklings.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

I wish the EU was half what the brexiters think it is. Could do with an EU army coming in to restore order.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 31, 2019, 07:15:24 AM
This is what struck me over Christmas in the UK: just how much contempt for Europe had replaced knowledge about Europe. Such an astonishing misreading both of the UK and of the Union, apparently fueled by a very Trumpian sentiment of being the powerful dupe of conniving weaklings.

Don't disagree with any of that.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Not directly Brexit related, but an amusing speech nonetheless: https://twitter.com/i/status/1090608662274629632
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

-17C / 1F in Montreal.

We need a couple of day above freezing so we can clean up some of this ice. It's been almost almost 2 weeks of this now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 01, 2019, 09:45:53 AM
-17C / 1F in Montreal.

We need a couple of day above freezing so we can clean up some of this ice. It's been almost almost 2 weeks of this now.

:hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

To counter Grey Fox's blatant mis-posting, here's something that almost made me cry:

https://www.dw.com/en/eu-and-japan-create-worlds-biggest-free-trade-zone/a-47319521?fbclid=IwAR3tq3M8vBFOU0JCJ-mBClnsA6OCV3RcykQQoc0h05y8PcupyUawHmi6nXU

Not only this is one more tyranny I will be thankfully unshackled from thanks to Brexit, but also this thing took 5 bloody years to make. I think the UK will be WTO-ing with the whole world for quite a while.

Grey Fox

Do I fix it, or I leave it there? :hmm:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2019, 10:14:09 AM
To counter Grey Fox's blatant mis-posting, here's something that almost made me cry:

https://www.dw.com/en/eu-and-japan-create-worlds-biggest-free-trade-zone/a-47319521?fbclid=IwAR3tq3M8vBFOU0JCJ-mBClnsA6OCV3RcykQQoc0h05y8PcupyUawHmi6nXU

Not only this is one more tyranny I will be thankfully unshackled from thanks to Brexit, but also this thing took 5 bloody years to make. I think the UK will be WTO-ing with the whole world for quite a while.

So glad our President loves tariffs so much so we can avoid tyranny like this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 01, 2019, 10:17:38 AM
Do I fix it, or I leave it there? :hmm:

It is now part of Languish history. Leave it there.

Maladict

The EU will insist on mutual commitment to the Paris climate accord in all future trade deals, starting with this one.
So much for TTIP then.

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on February 01, 2019, 10:22:56 AM
The EU will insist on mutual commitment to the Paris climate accord in all future trade deals, starting with this one.
So much for TTIP then.

Well that would get in the way of the British love for coal mines.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2019, 10:30:22 AM
So much for TTIP then.

But, after nearly 300 years of separation, Britain and North America will be able to rejoin in a union of their own. Coal mines, chlorinated chicken, privatised healthcare, and Cricket World Series. Just imagine!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2019, 10:30:22 AM
So much for TTIP then.

Green Coal mines, German-style?  :lol:

Richard Hakluyt

It is the Germans who love coal mines, especially filthy lignite ones.