Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

I don't think that's what I asked.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2019, 08:57:04 AM

I ignored what you asked bercause it had nothing to do with my reaction to the article. :P

The way it will be done is that first they'll just rush in some border officials, the Irish at least, who will pretend to be checking people, but gradually the infrastructure will be built back up, reluctantly. It will be done by the time the UK begs itself back to the EU.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2019, 09:09:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2019, 08:57:04 AM

I ignored what you asked bercause it had nothing to do with my reaction to the article. :P

The way it will be done is that first they'll just rush in some border officials, the Irish at least, who will pretend to be checking people, but gradually the infrastructure will be built back up, reluctantly. It will be done by the time the UK begs itself back to the EU.

Which, I ignored, as I'd nothing to add on that front. :P

I guess, my real question is more like what's the time frame for that. Looked at wikipedia which suggested that there are 300 major to minor road crossings along the border. And that's ignoring how people might just stumble across due to lack of visible signs.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/irish-army-identifies-300-border-crossing-points-37631474.html
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

They could build a wall.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2019, 10:06:01 AM
They could build a wall.

Mexico is not going to pay for this one too, San Patricio battalion notwithstanding.

Zanza

The initial Berlin Wall was literally built overnight...
Adding infrastructure can still be done in the first few weeks. Just start with mobile control points and add border structures later.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2019, 06:09:26 AM
QuoteThe former attorney general Dominic Grieve has put forward his motion to allow backbenchers to table different Brexit motions for debate six full days before the UK leaves the EU – 12 and 26 February and 5, 12, 19 and 26 March. You can read it on the order paper (pdf), on page 51.

That would give MPs time in the House of Commons to debate ideas such as a customs union, Labour's own Brexit plan, a second referendum, no deal and the Norway model. Motions would be amendable and would have political force.

I am sorry but what on Earth is there to still debate and amend on the 19th and 26th of March?!

Time and again I see a total disregard from all involved (in Britain) that they are negotiating with the EU and not among themselves.
:lol: Too little, too late...

Zanza

QuoteSir James Dyson, the British billionaire inventor and outspoken Brexiter, is moving the headquarters of his vacuum cleaner and hair dryer technology company to Singapore.

The Dyson chief executive, Jim Rowan, said the move from Wiltshire to Singapore had "nothing to do with Brexit" but was about "future-proofing" the business. The move of Dyson's legal entity from the UK to Singapore "will happen over the coming months", meaning it could take place before Brexit.
Nationalism in politics, globalization in business...?

Valmy

Quotehad "nothing to do with Brexit" but was about "future-proofing" the business

What sort of future is he proofing against exactly?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2019, 02:32:35 PM
Quotehad "nothing to do with Brexit" but was about "future-proofing" the business

What sort of future is he proofing against exactly?

Probably the incoming bread riots. Two months to go!

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2019, 02:20:15 PM
Adding infrastructure can still be done in the first few weeks. Just start with mobile control points and add border structures later.

I think the Berlín wall was quite a bit shorter, leaving alone the societies it was built under.

Razgovory

Somehow I don't think they had to worry about eminent domain
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

The initial Berlin Wall was a barbed wire fence which took a couple of days (but the part in Berlin itself, as opposed the East Germany in general, may have taken only a day).  A barbed wire fence only survives attempts to destroy it if your guards are willing to shoot.

Edit:  nope, I was wrong.  The inter-Berlin sector was the last to go up.  Still, it wasn't done "literally overnight."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2019, 02:24:16 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 22, 2019, 06:09:26 AM
QuoteThe former attorney general Dominic Grieve has put forward his motion to allow backbenchers to table different Brexit motions for debate six full days before the UK leaves the EU – 12 and 26 February and 5, 12, 19 and 26 March. You can read it on the order paper (pdf), on page 51.

That would give MPs time in the House of Commons to debate ideas such as a customs union, Labour's own Brexit plan, a second referendum, no deal and the Norway model. Motions would be amendable and would have political force.

I am sorry but what on Earth is there to still debate and amend on the 19th and 26th of March?!

Time and again I see a total disregard from all involved (in Britain) that they are negotiating with the EU and not among themselves.
:lol: Too little, too late...

It is to do with parliamentary procedure. I can't pretend to understand all the arcana, but without the debates forced by these tabled amendments we could simply leave the EU with no deal and without any challenges to the government. There may be an extension to the A50 process, if so then the debates on 19th and 26th March could be crucial. These debates are not being set up by ignorant morons but by Remainers who believe that leaving without a deal will be a catastrophe and will clutch at almost any straw to prevent it.

Josquius

They really need to pull their fingers out their arse and pass an automatic article 50 is cancelled on the 20th March or so bill unless that bill is expliclty cancelled in turn.
██████
██████
██████