Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

5. £65 fee for EU nationals getting their "you are allowed to stay for now" ID cards abolished. If this won't convince 200 MPs to change their minds, IDK what will!

EDIT: also they'll consider the amendment that would declare to protect workers' rights after Brexit. How nice.

Tamas

And if there was a sixth point I've missed it.

That, leadies and gentlemen, is Plan B.

Tamas

The thing is, I think at this moment in time, short of remaining, May's deal is the best option. But it is a too clear admission of the UK's inferior status to the EU, so it can't be accepted.

Josquius

So plan B is.... Vote for my plan plz
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Yeah, to an uneducated outside viewer like me, Plan B looks like "please vote for Plan A".

mongers

Ministers are now openly contradicting what May's just said about not ruling out a no-deal Brexit, the business minister amongst them.

This government looks becalmed in Channel fog, with no idea of a course to take towards a safe anchorage.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zoupa

Quote from: mongers on January 21, 2019, 09:09:38 PM
Ministers are now openly contradicting what May's just said about not ruling out a no-deal Brexit, the business minister amongst them.

This government looks becalmed in Channel fog, with no idea of a course to take towards a safe anchorage.   :bowler:

"Jump off a cliff means Jump off a cliff" claims Theresa May, leader of lemmings

"But mam now that we've studied the issue, we can now say with an absolute certainty that we will not gain the power of flight as the UKIP promised.  Not everyone realized this when jump off a cliff won 52-48.  Even your compromise of 'jump 50 feet down' means most people will break several limbs"

"Nonsense the vote must be honored"

- British politics

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zoupa on January 22, 2019, 03:05:54 AM

"Jump off a cliff means Jump off a cliff" claims Theresa May, leader of lemmings

"But mam now that we've studied the issue, we can now say with an absolute certainty that we will not gain the power of flight as the UKIP promised.  Not everyone realized this when jump off a cliff won 52-48.  Even your compromise of 'jump 50 feet down' means most people will break several limbs"

- British politics
Nice :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

:D

To be fair, the far-right have adjusted their narrative from "easiest thing in the world after which the land of milk and honey awaits" to "well it's gonna be hard but it will be good for us as adversity will bring the nation together. I mean look at the Blitz!"

Still, will of the people etc.

Syt

Quote from: Zoupa on January 22, 2019, 03:05:54 AM

- British politics

:D

I'm gonna steal that. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

QuoteThe former attorney general Dominic Grieve has put forward his motion to allow backbenchers to table different Brexit motions for debate six full days before the UK leaves the EU – 12 and 26 February and 5, 12, 19 and 26 March. You can read it on the order paper (pdf), on page 51.

That would give MPs time in the House of Commons to debate ideas such as a customs union, Labour's own Brexit plan, a second referendum, no deal and the Norway model. Motions would be amendable and would have political force.

I am sorry but what on Earth is there to still debate and amend on the 19th and 26th of March?!

Time and again I see a total disregard from all involved (in Britain) that they are negotiating with the EU and not among themselves.

celedhring

Well, they can always call it off unilaterally...

Tamas

Leading news on the Guardian:

No-deal Brexit would mean hard Irish border, EU confirm

garbon

I wonder how that would be done. Surely it'd take some time to setup the infrastructure?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2019, 08:39:33 AM
I wonder how that would be done. Surely it'd take some time to setup the infrastructure?

But how can this be news? Obviously if the UK stops being an EU country, then they'll have a border with the EU.