Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on January 29, 2019, 12:37:34 PM
QuoteTheresa May has announced to the Commons that she plans to return to Brussels and seek to reopen the painstakingly negotiated withdrawal agreement so as to seek legally-binding changes to the Irish backstop.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/29/brexit-may-to-ask-eu-to-reopen-withdrawal-agreement-over-irish-backstop

Aha, it will be interesting to see the well-prepared, constructive and realistic "alternative arrangements" or changed red lines that she will undoubtedly bring to the negotiation. It would be silly to assume she will just show up there empty-handed and all out of ideas...  :bowler:

If the last two years have taught us anything......
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Bad news today.

One amendment, a non binding resolution that there shouldn't be no deal, defeated by 8 votes. Given the current anti democratic mode of the tories this isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Meanwhile the sensible security against brexit that would definitely have stopped no deal if a deal isn't reached was defeated by 23 votes.

The pound has started to drop accordingly.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Well, at least the Daily Mail is happy. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, I really, really hope Andy Serkis will play Theresa May her in the inevitable movie version of this train wreck.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Oexmelin

Seen on Twitter: "Britain to repeat its offer slowly and loudly until foreigners get it"
Que le grand cric me croque !

Tamas

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 30, 2019, 12:23:12 PM
Seen on Twitter: "Britain to repeat its offer slowly and loudly until foreigners get it"

It is painfully accurate.

Although even MEPs are openly talking about it in Brussels that this is quite clearly the start of the blame-game. Either for a no-deal crash or a subservient deal that will be agreed to in the last moment, what's most important for all British MPs is to switch the blame to the EU.

Zanza

The EU should just continue its own ratification process to show that it will uphold its side of the bargain, at the same time prepare for no deal, and wait if the British have anything relevant new to say or not. There is no obvious action within its own red lines that the EU can do to ensure that May can pass a withdrawal agreement.

That said, why even negotiate with a head of government that then whips against her own agreement when it comes to ratification. She is not a trustworthy, serious person to negotiate with.

If nothing happens, then on March 29th Brexit just happens by automatic operation of the law and we can then resume discussions with the new situation of Britain as a third country. There are less things to consider then (e.g. revoking article 50, new referendum, longer transition period) so that it might be easier to find an agreement in the smaller solution space then.

mongers

Good job we've got Zanza to bump this thread and continue to remind us of our collective stupidity.  :bowler:  :Embarrass:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Capital flight now?

Today Barclays bank got high court approval to move 190 billion euros of assets to the EU (Ireland in this case).   :hmm:

Others are due to follow with their own court cases. 

Apparently some 800 billion has already left. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2019, 03:58:41 AM
Well, at least the Daily Mail is happy. :P

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Brexit
   Rode the six hundred and fifty.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the backstop!" she said.
Into the valley of Brexit

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the MP knew
   Someone had blundered.
   Theirs not to make reply,
   Theirs not to reason why,
   Theirs but to do and leave.
   Into the valley of Brexit

Josquius

I received  one of those wetherspoons propeganda pieces through the door.
Would it count as vandalism if I taped it to the door of one of their pubs (with alterations)?
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on January 31, 2019, 04:13:01 AM
I received  one of those wetherspoons propeganda pieces through the door.
Would it count as vandalism if I taped it to the door of one of their pubs (with alterations)?

The best way to show contempt is to ignore it. 

Tamas

Guardian's live news coverage:

"One of the great unknowns in British politics at the moment is whether or not the EU would be willing to re-open the Brexit deal. "

Right. HARD TO GUESS!!  :lol:

Tamas

I mean really... Literally, the future existence of the EU depends on the EU not blinking first on this. Whatever hit the EU would get from a no-deal Brexit pales in comparison to the shitstorm that would begin if they show themselves breaking under the pressure of anti-EU forces. Italy, a post-Macron France, Hungary, Poland, Greece... There is just no way.