Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Maladict

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 04, 2018, 04:05:50 AM
The ECJ advocate-general reckons that the UK can unilaterally withdraw from the article 50 exit process :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/brexit-britain-can-unilaterally-revoke-article-50-ecj-advocate-general-1.3719490

Sounds like another can of worms. Probably best to take the deal, suffer a little (or a lot) and be done with it.

garbon

Wouldn't best be to cancel the withdrawal? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2018, 05:56:41 AM
Wouldn't best be to cancel the withdrawal? :huh:

The least internal unrest would happen with May's deal at this stage I think. Apart from putting the UK more under the EU's thumb than it ever has been (and indefinitely, too), it is a decent deal that leaves the door open for a Canada style thing if that's what tickles people's fancy (it's just that the EU has the key to the door), but leaves things as they are until the people actually figure out what gets their fancy tickled. And the negative stuff (losing control) should be legal-speak enough to send the plebs snoring.

Now, cancelling the whole thing would see the far-right losing its shit. I have no idea if the mob would join in on the fun or they are quietly hoping Brexit goes away, now that they grasp what it means. It's a bit of a risk though. And it would reset everything to square one. Britain, and the EU, would be one British election away, all the time, from starting the whole ordeal right from the start again.

mongers

Don't worry chaps, it's all going swimmingly.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

MPs holding their government honest:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/04/mps-demand-for-brexit-legal-advice-too-vague-says-geoffrey-cox

I must say, whatever the real reasons behind MPs voting the way they did, I am impressed.

Tamas

Good comment I've seen:

QuoteBrexit and reality are in a slow motion collision.

garbon

I'm not impressed at all. This move was hardly one of guts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Was this mentioned before?
Will Australia and Canada save the UK?
If not, even less money for the NHS.

QuoteThe UK may never claw back £1.2bn of investment in Galileo, the EU's satellite navigation system, as Theresa May officially pulled the plug on UK defence and security participation in the system after Brexit.

Galileo, developed as a rival to the US GPS system, is due to be launched in 2020 with civilian and military variants. The UK's continued involvement, given the extent of British funding of the system, has been at the centre of some of the bitterest rows of the Brexit negotiations.

Britain has already contributed £1.2bn to the creation of Galileo, which has an overall cost of £9bn, but the EU has begun to exclude Britain from the security aspects of its development.

British armed forces were due to have access to Galileo's encrypted system when it is fully operational in 2026. However, government and security agencies have concluded it would not be in the UK's security interests to use the system's secure elements if it had not been fully involved in their development.

The text of the political declaration which May secured with Brussels last week on the future relationship gave only a terse one-line statement on future cooperation. "The parties should consider appropriate arrangements for cooperation on space," it said.

On Friday, May officially announced that the UK would be pulling out of the system and made no mention of any attempt to recoup the UK's investment.

"The commission decided that we would be barred from having full aspects of the Galileo programme and so it is right for us to look for alternatives because it would be wrong to put our [armed] services relying on a system on which they couldn't be sure of," May told reporters in Buenos Aires while attending the G20 summit. "That would not be in our national interest."

She added: "So what is in our national interest is to say no, you haven't allowed us full access, so we will develop an alternative, we will look at alternative options, we are doing that work but we will work with other international partners to do so as well."

Whitehall sources said the issue of the £1.2bn was yet to be finally resolved because the UK could still choose to be involved in commercial aspects of the system.

"We will be discussing our past contributions to the financing of Galileo in the upcoming talks," a senior UK official said.

Downing Street said the UK would explore options to build its own Global Navigation Satellite system to help guide military drones, run energy networks and other commercial uses. May said the UK had "world-class engineers and steadfast allies around the world. We are not short of options."

Gavin Williamson, the defence secretary, said the development of a new system would be an opportunity to draw on British skills and expertise in satellite technology. "Space poses a new and increasingly dangerous front for warfare and it is crucial to push ahead with plans for our own world-class, independent satellite system," he said.

Signs that the UK had accepted it would be forced out of the system were apparent in August when the UK Space Agency announced a £92m feasibility study of a national alternative to the Galileo programme. Number 10 said a series of key contracts were now being tendered.

The government now plans for possible collaboration on a new system with other countries such as those in the FiveEyes intelligence alliance and hopes to use some British overseas territories and Crown dependencies for a global network of locations necessary for infrastructure and worldwide coverage.

The development of the system may be raised in several bilateral meetings May will hold with world leaders on Saturday at the G20 summit in Argentina. The prime minister will meet her Canadian and Australian counterparts, Justin Trudeau and Scott Morrison respectively. Both countries are members of the FiveEyes alliance.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/30/brexit-uk-may-never-recover-12bn-invested-in-eu-galileo-satellite-system

The Brain

QuoteThe government now plans for possible collaboration on a new system with other countries such as those in the FiveEyes intelligence alliance and hopes to use some British overseas territories and Crown dependencies for a global network of locations necessary for infrastructure and worldwide coverage.

Don't forget coaling stations. :yes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Why would we need to co-develop a satellite navigation system when we just piggy-back off of the Americans GPS? :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2018, 04:04:59 PM
Why would we need to co-develop a satellite navigation system when we just piggy-back off of the Americans GPS? :)

The rats have deserted the sinking ship that is America. Now the over-polite Canadians are free to do the same.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I do wonder how many satellites the UK would need for a system that works for the UK. I know the Japanese got away with a budget GPS as they only need a few satellites to ensure coverage of the area around Japan.
I guess the problem with the UK though is we have pretenses of being a global power. Just covering the UK wouldn't be enough.

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2018, 04:36:25 PM
I do wonder how many satellites the UK would need for a system that works for the UK. I know the Japanese got away with a budget GPS as they only need a few satellites to ensure coverage of the area around Japan.
I guess the problem with the UK though is we have pretenses of being a global power. Just covering the UK wouldn't be enough.

The UK did just fine on her own in the 1880s, it will manage this time around as well!

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2018, 04:36:25 PM

Three if you put them in GeoStationary orbit (four is preferable.)  That was how the Chinese system BeiDou-1 operated.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2018, 04:04:59 PM

It's for your foreign Queen, remember?  :P