Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

:hmm:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/28/labour-seize-second-brexit-vote-option-john-mcdonnell
QuoteLabour could seize option of second Brexit vote, says McDonnell

Shadow chancellor says remain should be on ballot paper but 'no deal' should not

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Interesting.

I think of him as the power behind the throne, with Corbyn as the slightly gormless jovial old buffer who attracts votes.

A second vote becomes more likely with him on board.

celedhring

Is a second vote feasible besides amassing the political capital to do it? I mean, in 4 months you are out. Doesn't seem much time to me, since I assume the issue of calling off Article 50 isn't a clear-cut matter either.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2018, 04:45:39 AM
Interesting.

I think of him as the power behind the throne, with Corbyn as the slightly gormless jovial old buffer who attracts votes.

A second vote becomes more likely with him on board.

Yes, that's totally my impression as well. They could make a really sinister pairing if ever given sufficient power.

Speaking of Labour, the Guardian tries to make a big deal about their latest Big Idea: a vote to customers over the salaries of big firm execs :bleeding:

Tamas

To the shock and awe of everyone, Philipp Hammond (my MP, yay!) admits the best option is staying in the EU and May's deal is just the least worse after that.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on November 28, 2018, 05:07:44 AM
Speaking of Labour, the Guardian tries to make a big deal about their latest Big Idea: a vote to customers over the salaries of big firm execs :bleeding:

Do they have any op-eds in support of it? I saw it as a headline article for a brief bit, the news on the plan but then it now has been reduced to a small box on their homepage (under article of Chancellor noting Britain will be worse off under all Brexit scenarios).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2018, 05:17:20 AM

Do they have any op-eds in support of it? I saw it as a headline article for a brief bit, the news on the plan but then it now has been reduced to a small box on their homepage (under article of Chancellor noting Britain will be worse off under all Brexit scenarios).

I read the long article they had up last night, but I can't remember much statistics to support the idea. Admittedly I was reading through an increasingly darking red mist of rage :P

This is the the kind of petty pointless bullshit that shows off the real character of the far left: the main agenda is not to make sure that people have more than they do or at least the chance for it. No. The main thing is to make sure those who have more get it taken away. That's mission accomplished then.

I mean, what on EARTH would it accomplish to have CUSTOMERS have a say on salaries? BTW could we also have a say on lower rank employee salaries as well? Would be funny to see the righteous People plummet delivery drivers and such even more to the ground to save a few more pounds on their fees.

Also they have argued for plans to forbid stock options for execs (god forbid they get an incentive to make the company work on the long term) and other non-cash rewards, and maximising their salaries.

As I said, petty bullshit.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on November 28, 2018, 05:23:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2018, 05:17:20 AM

I read the long article they had up last night, but I can't remember much statistics to support the idea. Admittedly I was reading through an increasingly darking red mist of rage :P

This is the the kind of petty pointless bullshit that shows off the real character of the far left: the main agenda is not to make sure that people have more than they do or at least the chance for it. No. The main thing is to make sure those who have more get it taken away. That's mission accomplished then.

I mean, what on EARTH would it accomplish to have CUSTOMERS have a say on salaries? BTW could we also have a say on lower rank employee salaries as well? Would be funny to see the righteous People plummet delivery drivers and such even more to the ground to save a few more pounds on their fees.

Also they have argued for plans to forbid stock options for execs (god forbid they get an incentive to make the company work on the long term) and other non-cash rewards, and maximising their salaries.

As I said, petty bullshit.

Okay, on the bold bit. :D

But yeah, I don't click on it as I saw headline and thought, there's Labour proving again that it is not ready to lead the country.

Tamas

Gawd I produce an extra number of typos when I am sleepy.

celedhring

Don't customers already do that by not buying the product?

Executive pay has large amounts of potential moral hazards, but not sure how that proposal solves much of anything.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2018, 05:38:11 AM
Don't customers already do that by not buying the product?

Executive pay has large amounts of potential moral hazards, but not sure how that proposal solves much of anything.

It would give petty satisfaction to frustrated people. The very basis of the far-end of political ideologies whether on the right or the left.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2018, 04:53:54 AM
Is a second vote feasible besides amassing the political capital to do it? I mean, in 4 months you are out. Doesn't seem much time to me, since I assume the issue of calling off Article 50 isn't a clear-cut matter either.

The EU would have to grant more time; so really it depends on whether they think it is a prize to potentially keep the UK in or thank God we are getting rid of those troublemakers.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2018, 06:16:11 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2018, 04:53:54 AM

The EU would have to grant more time; so really it depends on whether they think it is a prize to potentially keep the UK in or thank God we are getting rid of those troublemakers.

If they can look past their short term interest of getting more money to embezzle, they will sure opt for option 2. If Europe ever gets to become more integrated, Britain needs to leave. Well, needs to lose its voting rights, at least.

Richard Hakluyt

But Britain was right to question the speed of integration  :P

Now you have a load of countries in the Eurozone who have lost control of their monetary policy. Given that the Germans and Dutch etc have no intention of transferring money to places like Italy those countries have to stagnate or evolve into pseudo-Germans.

I speak as someone who would love to see a U.S.E. ; we have to be practical though.

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2018, 06:27:31 AM
But Britain was right to question the speed of integration  :P

Now you have a load of countries in the Eurozone who have lost control of their monetary policy. Given that the Germans and Dutch etc have no intention of transferring money to places like Italy those countries have to stagnate or evolve into pseudo-Germans.

I speak as someone who would love to see a U.S.E. ; we have to be practical though.

You got an opt-out from further integration when Cameron renegotiated the relationship before the referendum though. That seemed fair, imho.