Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

Think of it as an industrial subsidy rather than as a defence project.

The UK share of the global space industry was 6.5% in 2014 and has been growing fast, it appears that there are ambitions to increase this share to 10% by 2020. This bung to the industry will help keep things on track post-brexit.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-space-industry-size-and-health-report-2016

Tamas

So, supposedly big day in British politics with the Attorney General's full Brexit-deal report made public after forced so by Parliament. Report confirmed what everyone knew: there's no legal way out of the deal without the EU's consent.

So what Corbyn uses his question-time with the Prime Minister? Poverty and Universal Credit. Which are worthy subjects of inquiry on most days of course, but... really?!

Tamas

From some ITV guy:

QuoteSCOOP: Understand PM and Chief Whip are discussing a new amendment to Meaningful Vote with Brexiteers today, which would provide a 'parliamentary lock' on the backstop, meaning it cannot be entered into without consent of MPs. Hoping this concession can win over backbenchers.

If I understand this correctly, it is exactly the kind of willful ignorance, or just straight arrogance that really annoys me in how these Brexit negotiations have been covered and considered in the British media:

The above reads to me like a bloody change to the Withdrawal Agreement, because that says if EU and UK don't agree during the transition period, then backstop sets in. There is no "unless Parliament decides otherwise". Such an addendum is not the UK's to add unilaterally. WTH.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on December 05, 2018, 07:13:09 AM
So, supposedly big day in British politics with the Attorney General's full Brexit-deal report made public after forced so by Parliament. Report confirmed what everyone knew: there's no legal way out of the deal without the EU's consent.

So what Corbyn uses his question-time with the Prime Minister? Poverty and Universal Credit. Which are worthy subjects of inquiry on most days of course, but... really?!

Politically he doesn't want to touch Brexit with a bargepole, let the Tories destroy themselves over it, leaving the door open for a general election or a labour minority govt. Only at that point will he'll act in the Brexit debate/process.

That doesn't make him much of a parliamentarian though.

So the talk about Universal Credit is part of maintaining and building labour's electoral prospects. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

This week-long debate is an opportunity to shine and sieze control of the situation.............for a statesman that is. Corbyn will carry on with his third-rate nitpicking of course.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 05, 2018, 08:23:38 AM
This week-long debate is an opportunity to shine and sieze control of the situation.............for a statesman that is. Corbyn will carry on with his third-rate nitpicking of course.

Yes, Indeed.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on December 04, 2018, 12:31:39 PM
Good comment I've seen:

QuoteBrexit and reality are in a slow motion collision.

The collision happened months ago. The last few months have been the traffic cops arguing about which hospital to call while the victims bleed out on the road.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on December 05, 2018, 07:13:09 AM

Yep
In the last election it seemed it was a great move by him. Very cunning tactics to ignore the Tories attempts to make the election over brexit with the pro brexit side all for them and the anti brexit side split.
But he really should have broke cover and addressed the elephant in the room by now.
I really have no idea what the hell he thinks he is doing.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

So as it turns out the proposed vote allowed for Parliament is the choice between the backstop when it comes to it, or extending the transition period.

Which is something they can indeed have a say in without changing the treaty.

However, as I understand, the only practical difference between the transition period and the backstop period is that the latter has no free movement.  :lol:

Josquius

So without the critical thing we have to cling onto no matter what.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

QuoteThe European Court of Justice will formally rule on whether Britain can unilaterally cancel Brexit ahead of the MPs vote on Theresa May's deal next week.

The EU's top court confirmed it will deliver its judgment at 8am UK time on Monday – with the landmark Commons vote scheduled for the next day.
If they follow the advocate-general and decide that Britain can unilaterally cancel their notice of withdrawal it would just add one more confusing option to the whole farce of Brexit. The British government said that the ECJ should not decide at all, because it was a hypothetical case and the EU commission and council argued that Britain cannot unilaterally cancel.

Josquius

Should be a victory either way.
Even if it comes out Britain can't do it unilaterally it'll likely come out that it can be done with permission.
I highly doubt they will say that it can't be cancelled.
Though if they do then there aren't enough expletives  in the world for our situation.

May I just mention again a big fuck you to those who voted for the last 2 years?
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

In Newcastle today there was a People's Vote event.

Quite surprising that looking around I was the second youngest. A lot of old people involved. Spoke to one old guy who was a hardcore old school unionist. Nice to see these people getting out against this. It seems the message that fighting brexit means fighting to protect industry is getting through.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on December 08, 2018, 09:23:31 AM
In Newcastle today there was a People's Vote event.

Quite surprising that looking around I was the second youngest. A lot of old people involved. Spoke to one old guy who was a hardcore old school unionist. Nice to see these people getting out against this. It seems the message that fighting brexit means fighting to protect industry is getting through.

They are only 2 years late.

Zanza

Just a reminder how arch-brexiteer Daniel Hannan expected Brexit to work out: https://reaction.life/britain-looks-like-brexit/