Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Razgovory

So Otto, what would you about it.  Exterminate them?  You don't allow evil to live do you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2018, 02:40:56 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 08, 2018, 02:38:10 PM
I've been to the middle east plenty of time.

Grow a pair, talk to people and you'll have the time of your life. All this fear-mongering is cowardice disguised.

Well my parents went to Turkey and there was a terrorist attack at a train-station the day after they were there. And then most of our friends there got arrested by the government. All that happened. That was not fear-mongering.

I mean bravery is fine and all but why be brave going on a fucking vacation? Besides there are plenty of other places I would like to visit that do not involve reckless risks that would harm my family. Hey if I die sight-seeing will you take care of my kids?

I once went to London and there was a terrorist attack the days after. And there was a subway scare when we were there. Are all brits evil terrorists?

Valmy

Quote from: Threviel on August 09, 2018, 12:22:57 PM
Are all brits evil terrorists?

Nope. Not sure what that has to do with anything though :hmm:

Did I say somebody was an evil terrorist anywhere? :hmm: No I don't think either of those words were ever stated.

If your personal friends were being locked up and booted out of the country and having their property seized in an area that is generally struggling with human rights and political stability then that might be comparable. I have no particular interest in rolling the dice in that part of the world in the forseeable future. But hey it is not like I am jetting across the globe these days anyway. By the time I have the money and time to do that sort of thing I am sure the world will have changed a bit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Clearly, Valmy's parents and Threviel are traveling around the world, delivering attack plans to terrorist cells.

Syt

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jim-ratcliffe-brexit-uk-richest-man-monaco-move-tax-haven-eu-leave-a8484211.html

QuoteSir Jim Ratcliffe: UK's richest man and ardent Brexiteer is moving to Monaco

Billionaire said Britain would be 'perfectly successful' outside of the EU, but is now opting to leave

Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Britain's wealthiest man and a key Brexit backer, has decided to leave the UK and live in Monaco.

Despite his previous claims that the UK would be "perfectly successful" outside of the European Union (EU), the billionaire has chosen to leave the country of his birth and move to the principality, whose residents do not pay income tax, on the Mediterranean coast.

Sir Jim, founder and CEO of the chemicals giant Ineos, was named as the richest man in Britain in this year's Sunday Times rich list, with an estimated fortune of £21bn.

He was knighted earlier this summer.

Before the 2016 referendum, Sir Jim made it clear he supported Britain's exit from the bloc and claimed that the UK would prosper if it did.

"The Brits are perfectly capable of managing the Brits and don't need Brussels telling them how to manage things," he told The Sunday Times. "I just don't believe in the concept of a United States of Europe. It's not viable."

While Ineos will remain headquartered in London, two of the company's other top executives, Andy Currie and John Reece, will join Sir Jim in Monaco, according to The Daily Telegraph.

Motivations for their relocation have not been made clear, but Sir Jim has previously complained about Britain's tax regime. Ineos moved its headquarters to Switzerland in 2010 for four years to cut its corporation tax bill.

Monaco is also known for its advantageous tax regime.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

:lol:

We want hard Brexit! But not if it means spending 6 pounds! Bloody government pushing for leaving the customs union!

Duque de Bragança

Visiting Monaco will more expensive than a £6 visa, though maybe transit through France will have to be paid too.  :hmm:

Syt

Besides, these people obviously have never been to Turkey or Egypt where such entry visa fees are common (and higher).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

The sun meanwhile is proclaiming victory at the news that post brexit if a European doesn't have a job in the UK after 3 months they shall have to leave.
You know.
Just like under EU rules.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Tamas on August 08, 2018, 03:53:38 AM
Boris continues to position himself as the British Trump, dashes out a lame and lazy insult at burka-ed ladies (liking them to post boxes and bank robbers). Predictable debate and outrage ensues.

I do find it somewhat interesting that even supposedly moderate Muslims like a Lord from the Tory party is outraged and considers all Muslims insulted.

I came across an article on Al-Jazeera on the subject which features a quote from: Muslim Conservative peer Lord Sheikh.

That is one of the coolest descriptors and names I've ever come across.  If that was my name I'd go on zany adventures throughout the Commonwealth and have a series of YA novels made about them "The Adventures of Lord Sheikh."

Lord Sheikh of the Yukon
Lord Sheikh and the Mounties Ride Again
Lord Sheikh against the Rhino Poachers
Lord Sheikh and the Terrible Secret of the Highlands
A very Lord Sheikh ANZAC Day.
Lord Sheikh and the Curse of Kashmir
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Richard Hakluyt

Lord Sheikh and the Mystery of the Limehouse Yeti.

Yes it does work  :cool:

Zanza

The EU is apparently willing to offer the UK the same deal as Jersey.  Single market for goods, no freedom of movement, but Britain has to follow all rules including social (work time directive) and be part of the customs union. I doubt that's something May could pass in parliament. 

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Zanza on August 10, 2018, 01:37:28 PM
The EU is apparently willing to offer the UK the same deal as Jersey.  Single market for goods, no freedom of movement, but Britain has to follow all rules including social (work time directive) and be part of the customs union. I doubt that's something May could pass in parliament.

She couldn't get a majority with her party plus allies; but three quarters of the parliamentary Labour party are remainers so who knows  :hmm: ? The no freedom of movement would calm down a lot of the xenophobes within the electorate.

Interesting piece by the highly-regarded John Curtice at the BBC site  : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45098550

The youngsters are 80+ percent in favour of remain but "...only half of 18 to 24-year-olds said that they would be certain to vote in a second EU referendum, according to recent polls by Survation. This compares with 84% of those aged 65 and over."  :bleeding:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2018, 03:09:31 PM

The youngsters are 80+ percent in favour of remain but "...only half of 18 to 24-year-olds said that they would be certain to vote in a second EU referendum, according to recent polls by Survation. This compares with 84% of those aged 65 and over."  :bleeding:

So no need to organise a new referendum since it would lead to a similar result I guess.