Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

I did read that Sadiq said he could take Trump in a boxing match! :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 05, 2018, 01:37:59 PM
I could still get behind Brexit if the Brits were going to use it as a means to block the Islamicization of Britain, but I think that's basically a done deal. When you have a Muslim as the mayor of your largest city it's obviously too late.

Why do you think a Muslim mayor is worse than a Christian one, exactly? (or a Jewish one or a Bahá'i one, but I'll keep the question simple)

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: ulmont on August 05, 2018, 04:21:33 PM
I could still get behind Brexit if the Brits were going to use it as a means to block the Islamicization of Britain, but I think that's basically a done deal. When you have a Muslim as the mayor of your largest city it's obviously too late.

Why do you think a Muslim mayor is worse than a Christian one, exactly? (or a Jewish one or a Bahá'i one, but I'll keep the question simple)

Because Islam is incompatible in every sense with Western values, and represent probably the greatest threat to human rights, democratic ideals, and the entire Western order as we know it. The only safe future for the West is one in which Islam is not seen as a weird "ethnic/racial" identifier--for it is not, even though many globalists are desperate to extend modern views against racial and ethnic bigotry to embracing Islam and Muslims; instead Islam should be rightfully seen as what it is. It is not an ethnicity, it is not a race, it is not a sexual orientation, it is not an intrinsic part of someone's humanity. It is a learned ideology. It is a pernicious, dangerous, violent learned ideology, and belief in its tenets and acceptance of those values should rightly be seen as equivalent to acceptance and belief in the values of Nazism. That is to say, publicly espousing that you hold these views should make it disqualifying for you to participate in Western society. Governments should seek to trample it out, and it should be an absolute disqualifier for immigration (America made being a Nazi a general disqualification for immigration after WWII, for example.)

Josquius

....yeah...That's Sadiq Khan alright :huh:
Khan is a great example that talk of Islam being incompatible with western ideals is bollocks.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 05, 2018, 11:08:23 PM
Quote from: ulmont on August 05, 2018, 04:21:33 PM

Because Islam is incompatible in every sense with Western values, and represent probably the greatest threat to human rights, democratic ideals, and the entire Western order as we know it. The only safe future for the West is one in which Islam is not seen as a weird "ethnic/racial" identifier--for it is not, even though many globalists are desperate to extend modern views against racial and ethnic bigotry to embracing Islam and Muslims; instead Islam should be rightfully seen as what it is. It is not an ethnicity, it is not a race, it is not a sexual orientation, it is not an intrinsic part of someone's humanity. It is a learned ideology. It is a pernicious, dangerous, violent learned ideology, and belief in its tenets and acceptance of those values should rightly be seen as equivalent to acceptance and belief in the values of Nazism. That is to say, publicly espousing that you hold these views should make it disqualifying for you to participate in Western society. Governments should seek to trample it out, and it should be an absolute disqualifier for immigration (America made being a Nazi a general disqualification for immigration after WWII, for example.)

Oh, Christ.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Was Otto always full alt-right or is this new?

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on August 06, 2018, 06:56:38 AM

He's always been nuts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on August 06, 2018, 07:28:24 AM

He's always been nuts.

No, I think he's just moving with the times or drifting with the tide of hate.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 06, 2018, 07:43:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 06, 2018, 07:28:24 AM

He's always been nuts.

No, I think he's just moving with the times or drifting with the tide of hate.

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 21, 2011, 06:21:08 PM
FWIW, I'll always side with pretty much anyone over Muslims who I think of as the worst kind of human garbage (all of them, especially the ones that don't conform to any of the stereotypes and just want to live peaceful, modern lives.)

Josquius

Brexit and Trump haven't created any new racism.
They've just made it far more mainstream and acceptable to wear your ignorance on your sleeve.
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Tyr on August 06, 2018, 04:12:50 AM
Khan is a great example that talk of Islam being incompatible with western ideals is bollocks.

If he was, he would've renounced Islam.

Tamas

I guess political Islam is incompatible with a modern liberal democracy, but it sure as hell isn't incompatible with the society you find acceptable Otto, what with labelling someone an untermensch just because of his heritage.

Valmy

I think it is obvious that Muslims are compatible with western ideals. I think Islam will have to reform itself to be compatible but, does it really need to be compatible? People are perfectly capable of holding contradictory ideas at once. People who cannot do the mental gymnastics will just become ex-Muslims. It is the same that has happened with fundamentalist Christianity and Judaism.

I mean how devout and traditional is this Khan guy anyway?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2018, 09:19:19 AM

I think it is obvious that Muslims are compatible with western ideals. I think Islam will have to reform itself to be compatible but, does it really need to be compatible? People are perfectly capable of holding contradictory ideas at once. People who cannot do the mental gymnastics will just become ex-Muslims. It is the same that has happened with fundamentalist Christianity and Judaism.

I mean how devout and traditional is this Khan guy anyway?

He doesn't repent daily so I don't think he'd be good enough for Otto, but otherwise I don't recall his Muslimness ever factoring in to anything I have heard from or about him. I'd suspect he is as much a practicing Muslim as I am a Christian but maybe it is less advisable for him to mention that.

Josquius

The impression I get about Khan is that he is a bit more religious than a typical paper-christian/paper-muslim, but I strongly suspect that most of this is for show. It won't turn away anyone from voting for him other than those who are already turned off by a brown man, but it will help to bring out the muslim support to have a few photo-opps at the mosque.
Its kind of like the situation with American politicians and christianity. Even the not particularly religious ones have to pretend.

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 06, 2018, 09:09:04 AM

If he was, he would've renounced Islam.

Meh. Believing in sky monsters is a bit silly, but until it starts impacting his job (e.g. Tim Farron) then he's welcome to keep doing so.
I really don't care whether politicians representing me are religious or not as long as they're decent people who do a good job of taking care of the country.

Come to think I'd actually give a bit more leeway to muslims than to christians in this given muslims are largely 2nd-4th generation immigrants from rather less developed countries.  It's more understandable that faith might hold stronger with these minority groups than with the majority.
Given time though, as long as we can keep the far right under control and stop them blindly doing what daesh want, European muslims are bit by bit becoming nothing more than cultural muslims. With time and cross-cultural marriages even this fades.
██████
██████
██████