Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2018, 01:39:14 PM
As evil as this sounds, I kinda want to see a hard Brexit.  I want Britain to be a cautionary tale for the rest of the world.

Thanks Raz.  <_<

I'd add those least likely in the UK to comprehend that story will be the people who voted Brexit. Yet paradoxically they are likely to suffer the ill effects most.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on August 01, 2018, 02:20:30 PM
As evil as this sounds, I kinda want to see a hard Brexit.  I want Britain to be a cautionary tale for the rest of the world.

Thanks Raz.  <_<

I'd add those least likely in the UK to comprehend that story will be the people who voted Brexit. Yet paradoxically they are likely to suffer the ill effects most.

You'll do fine.  With your bicycle you will rule the wasteland when there are fuel shortages.  All you need is an iron mask and a studded leather jockstrap.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2018, 02:31:13 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 01, 2018, 02:20:30 PM

Thanks Raz.  <_<

You'll do fine.  With your bicycle you will rule the wasteland when there are fuel shortages.  All you need is an iron mask and a studded leather jockstrap.

:D

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2018, 01:31:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2018, 12:23:38 PM
I'm not saying you should. I'm saying the lib dems stand for basically nothing.

That puts them head and shoulders above the party of Brexit and Brexit-light.  As unpleasant as Trump is he has yet to do something as destructive as Brexit.

The problem is, best as I can see, the Liberal Dems have only a slightly better chance of winning power in the UK as the Libertarian Party in the US has of winning the Presidency and control of both houses of Congress. 

Valmy

Ah but if the Democrats were led by Corbyn I would vote Libertarian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2018, 02:43:26 PM

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but the 2016 election showed just how big a waste that would be.  Even in an election with 2 candidates as disliked and flawed as Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, the Libertarian candidate only managed something like 3.25% of the popular vote, and no other minor party candidate managed even a third of that.  If they Libertarians can't get just to 5% of the nationwide vote even in those circumstances, they'll never do it.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on August 01, 2018, 03:26:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2018, 02:43:26 PM

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but the 2016 election showed just how big a waste that would be.  Even in an election with 2 candidates as disliked and flawed as Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, the Libertarian candidate only managed something like 3.25% of the popular vote, and no other minor party candidate managed even a third of that.  If they Libertarians can't get just to 5% of the nationwide vote even in those circumstances, they'll never do it.

I think Trump picked up as many Libertarians as the libertarian party gained.  A lot of the Alt-right were Ron Paul revolutionaries.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

The Donald breaks it down for us: "I have great respect for the U.K. United Kingdom. Great respect. People call it Britain. They call it Great Britain. They used to call it England, different parts."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2018, 04:30:35 AM
The Donald breaks it down for us: "I have great respect for the U.K. United Kingdom. Great respect. People call it Britain. They call it Great Britain. They used to call it England, different parts."

These little therapy sessions of his with his followers are getting really pathetic. If I didn't know what a douchebag he is, I'd start feeling sorry for him

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2018, 08:09:38 AM
Okay, now take off the rose colored glasses and try again.

???

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2018, 12:06:48 PM
If I were British I would be voting for the Liberal Democrats all along anyway....what is left of them.
It depends where you live really.
My ideal government would be a lib dem - green - labour coalition. But in most seats the lib dems and greens don't have a chance and only serve to split the left wing vote.

Quote from: Tamas on August 01, 2018, 08:23:05 AM
One thing Tyr is right in is that Corbyn has dialed down the Chavez-like shit to represent what they think the leftist consensus is.

But that's hardly a surprise or a guarantee. The question is what he will do in power, and I am having a hard time imagining a life-long professional protester, and admired of Hamas and the IRA, not to mention Chavez, just throwing all that out and becoming Blair 2.0 when he gets power finally. How old is he,  70? What would he be holding back for?
He doesn't admire Hamas and the IRA. That's just more media silliness.
If he got into power and suddenly decided to take off the mask and be zombie-Lenin....it wouldn't accomplish much. Half of the party would rebel against him. British PMs are first amongst equals, they don't actually have that much power.
As you say he hasn't got many years left, even if you take the worry about the far left taking over the party totally seriously they just don't have enough time to manage it when most MPs are younger than the leader.

Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2018, 12:04:50 PM
Were I British, I'm not sure I could bring myself to vote for either Tory or the Labor party.  If the choice is to pick between two types of Hate, Antsemitism or Islamophobia, I don't pick at all.  I'd vote that libertarian-type party before tolerate the hate-mongers.

Antisemitism and Islamophobia are the domain of the right so...
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Liam Fox, yesterday
QuoteThe International Trade Secretary put the chances of a no-deal Brexit at "60-40" despite both sides saying they want to reach an agreement on the terms of the UK's departure from the bloc in March 2019.

[...]

"I think the intransigence of the commission is pushing us towards no deal," he told The Sunday Times. "We have set out the basis in which a deal can happen but if the EU decides that the theological obsession of the unelected is to take priority over the economic wellbeing of the people of Europe then it's a bureaucrats' Brexit - not a people's Brexit - then there is only going to be one outcome."

Liam Fox, two years ago
QuoteA trade deal between the UK and the EU should be one of the easiest free trade deals in human history!

This is the man who shall deliver Global Britain with its sunny uplands and a whole bunch of favourable FTAs to replace the single market. 

I am not sure why the Brexiteers are even complaining. Surely, no deal was always the default position and anything beyond that was up for negotiation. If the EU and the UK cannot agree, Brexit still happens and as we heard many times, no deal is better than a bad deal and taking back control trumps all other considerations.

I also wonder why they pretend that the EU commission is serving its own interest when it is just following the instructions from the 27 democratically elected governments of the EU, which have stated time and again that Barnier speaks for them and that the single market is indivisible.

Leaves you wondering who will be their new scapegoat after Brexit. I guess British politicians then either need to find a new way to blame Brussels and the pesky foreigners.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on August 05, 2018, 05:25:46 AM

This is the man who shall deliver Global Britain with its sunny uplands and a whole bunch of favourable FTAs to replace the single market. 

I am not sure why the Brexiteers are even complaining. Surely, no deal was always the default position and anything beyond that was up for negotiation. If the EU and the UK cannot agree, Brexit still happens and as we heard many times, no deal is better than a bad deal and taking back control trumps all other considerations.

I also wonder why they pretend that the EU commission is serving its own interest when it is just following the instructions from the 27 democratically elected governments of the EU, which have stated time and again that Barnier speaks for them and that the single market is indivisible.

Leaves you wondering who will be their new scapegoat after Brexit. I guess British politicians then either need to find a new way to blame Brussels and the pesky foreigners.

May, then the Johnson/ReesMogg/Fox clique mounts a coup?

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2018, 11:36:02 AM

Antisemitism and Islamophobia are the domain of the right so...

Then it should be easy for Labor to expel the anti-Semites in the party.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

Even though I think it's asinine to proceed with such a monumental change when you lack significant popular support, and while I think it will be an economic negative, I could still get behind Brexit if the Brits were going to use it as a means to block the Islamicization of Britain, but I think that's basically a done deal. When you have a Muslim as the mayor of your largest city it's obviously too late.