Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

The Conservatives had shown themselves to be a huddle of bickering school children and Labour still couldn't grasp victory.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2017, 01:31:34 AM
The Conservatives had shown themselves to be a huddle of bickering school children and Labour still couldn't grasp victory.
Labours infighting had been much worse.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

The shadow Northern Ireland secretary is saying there should be a way to make NI stay both the member of EU and the UK.

This is becoming absolutely ridiculous.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on September 26, 2017, 04:16:58 AM
The shadow Northern Ireland secretary is saying there should be a way to make NI stay both the member of EU and the UK.

:lol: What's wrong with these people?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

It would certainly do wonders for Northern Irelands economy.

Wonder if a Irish-British condominium could be feasible. Though the EU complicates things too much
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on September 26, 2017, 12:30:16 AM
I think you forget that the EU was also aware that the triggering of A50 was the only control the UK would ever have over this trainwreck, and they refused to start talking until they triggered the 2 years countdown. They had no choice.
The British government had a choice: they could have tried to agree a position that is acceptable for the Conservative party and the broader populace before triggering article 50, not afterwards. That they never did is biting them in the arse now. They are still negotiating more with themselves and the British press than with Brussels. That's a historical own goal and no one but the current British government is to blame for that.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on September 26, 2017, 04:16:58 AM

Schroedinger's Brexit!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on September 26, 2017, 12:30:16 AM
I think you forget that the EU was also aware that the triggering of A50 was the only control the UK would ever have over this trainwreck, and they refused to start talking until they triggered the 2 years countdown. They had no choice.

And how exactly has the UK used the intervening six months?  Nothing got done anyways. 
If the plan was to wait until well into the next decade, then better to keep the leverage for now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2017, 01:11:28 AM
Though Labour didn't get a majority the election is seen as a victory for them.

Right - they won the expectations game.
They lost the election.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 26, 2017, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2017, 01:11:28 AM
Though Labour didn't get a majority the election is seen as a victory for them.

Right - they won the expectations game.
They lost the election.

As did the conservatives
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2017, 01:58:22 AM

That's hardly an advantage for Labour.

Josquius

Quote from: dps on September 26, 2017, 04:48:11 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2017, 01:58:22 AM

That's hardly an advantage for Labour.
:huh:
██████
██████
██████

Gups

It was the perfect result for Labour (or at least the Corbyn wing).

Massively better result than expected, party rejuvenated, money flooded in, Corbyn's authority thoroughly established for the foreseeable future. No responsibility for taking the UK through a dreadful negotiation.  Tories completely broken. UKIP smashed.

A loss for sure, but so much better than a victory.

And much as I still can't stand his views, Corbyn has really grown in to the role. Labour's approach on Brexit may not be principled but it has been politically brilliant.

garbon

Really? Labour seems to have had a completely incoherent and amorphous approach to Brexit from what I've seen. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2017, 09:50:50 AM
Really? Labour seems to have had a completely incoherent and amorphous approach to Brexit from what I've seen. :hmm:

Which is what's so (politically) perfect about it. They have somehow managed to avoid alienating either metropolitan remainers or working class Brexiters. As I say, it's hardly principled but it is astute. They would not be able to do this in government.