Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

I guess it is a sign of the times. When the inability to create a party line is hailed as a virtue. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2017, 10:43:53 AM
I guess it is a sign of the times. When the inability to create a party line is hailed as a virtue. :D

That's been pretty much the only virtue the Republican Party has had for 15 years or so.  Trump is the US Corbyn:  the benefactor of a people trained to believe in magic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Gups

Avoiding taking a position on a difficult issue which could split your party is hardly a new thing.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on September 27, 2017, 12:00:51 PM
Avoiding taking a position on a difficult issue which could split your party is hardly a new thing.

Okay but then no one said that. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Considering it's an issue less than 20% on all sides of the political spectrum (likely mostly on the right) saw as a priority before the stupid referendum it's pretty wise to fight on issues that people see as more important.

I'd love it if labour did come out and oppose Brexit but I understand why politically they're taking the smart approach.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on September 27, 2017, 01:50:12 PM

Considering it's an issue less than 20% on all sides of the political spectrum (likely mostly on the right) saw as a priority before the stupid referendum it's pretty wise to fight on issues that people see as more important.

I'd love it if labour did come out and oppose Brexit but I understand why politically they're taking the smart approach.

Let's face it though: it is the politically smart approach also because their voting base is entirely divided on the issue, with the newly gained voters decidedly anti-Brexit, while their Glorious Leader is clearly pro-Brexit.

garbon

Not Brexit but reminder to Brits that the round £1 coin no longer will need to be accepted by businesses after Oct 15th.

I just went to the bank and made a deposit of £340 in coins. £240 of which were in £1 coins. :blush:

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2017, 05:13:48 AM
Not Brexit but reminder to Brits that the round £1 coin no longer will need to be accepted by businesses after Oct 15th.

I just went to the bank and made a deposit of £340 in coins. £240 of which were in £1 coins. :blush:

Were you trying to build your own Duck Tales money bin?  :D

Maladict

I've been wondering what to do with stray coins piling up, as my bank is online only.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on September 29, 2017, 05:22:43 AM

Were you trying to build your own Duck Tales money bin?  :D

I'm never good at using change which becomes quite problematic when you have to use a currency were your denomination of 1 is a coin. -_-

garbon

Btw is this a rare photo of Ed?

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2017, 05:35:10 AM

I'm never good at using change which becomes quite problematic when you have to use a currency were your denomination of 1 is a coin. -_-

Why are you still using cash?

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on September 29, 2017, 06:26:30 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2017, 05:35:10 AM

Why are you still using cash?

Primarily when I'm going out to bars/clubs. Easy way to keep expenditure in check. :D -_-

Also, there's a few places like local kebab shop that are cash only.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2017, 06:59:37 AM

The Anglicisation process is obviously complete!

I hope you only go when properly pissed, order all the salad (but later scoop most of it out because it is getting in the way of the meat) have both garlic and chilli sauce and don't go to any of the decent places near Green Lanes.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on September 29, 2017, 07:49:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2017, 06:59:37 AM

The Anglicisation process is obviously complete!

I hope you only go when properly pissed [half-check as I'll sometimes get a falafel when sober but too lazy to cook]

order all the salad (but later scoop most of it out because it is getting in the way of the meat) [check - though sometimes I remember to ask for no cucumber / I do end up losing most of the lettuce & tomato as I didn't an actual salad!]

have both garlic and chilli sauce [check]

and don't go to any of the decent places near Green Lanes. [check - as that'd require a fair trek]