Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

It would be curious if so.
Labour are being attacked for electing someone who seems an old school communist as their leader...
So in response the Tories appoint an old school upper class tory boy.
Battle of the extremes.
Except Labour under Corbyn far less fits the far left picture than a Mogg's Tories would fit the hard right.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Squeeze, what would Corbyn need to say or do for him to fit the picture?

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 09, 2018, 06:13:42 PM
Squeeze, what would Corbyn need to say or do for him to fit the picture?

He said "Labour under Corbyn far less fits the far left picture," not that Corbyn himself does't fit.  I think he's right.  Labour as a whole seems far less leftist than Corbyn himself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Corbyn is pretty far left in his personal views, albeit not a Marxist.
Part of his beliefs though is that he is not so big on the idea of party leaders acting as dictator and seeing democracy within the party as important.
So if we take 1 as furthest left and 10 as furthest right, Corbyn himself may be a 2 but since the average of Labour is more of a 3 or 4 that's where they end up.

In other news

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Meanwhile Labour is gearing up the nationalisation talk which is "free" and "most efficient".

In the next election, it will be either Johnson or Rees-Mogg running against communists.

Da fuck.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2018, 06:20:48 AM
Meanwhile Labour is gearing up the nationalisation talk which is "free" and "most efficient".

In the next election, it will be either Johnson or Rees-Mogg running against communists.

Da fuck.
Nationalisation is more efficient (free? Wut?).
The half privatised British railway system is a mess. Since completely privatising it wouldn't work at all and would involve the whole thing being stripped back to just a few services between major cities, nationalisation is the logical option.

This sort of thing wouldn't look out of place at all in another North European country. Screaming communist about it comes from the same people who gave us brexit.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on February 11, 2018, 06:26:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2018, 06:20:48 AM

Da fuck.
Nationalisation is more efficient (free? Wut?).
The half privatised British railway system is a mess. Since completely privatising it wouldn't work at all and would involve the whole thing being stripped back to just a few services between major cities, nationalisation is the logical option.

This sort of thing wouldn't look out of place at all in another North European country. Screaming communist about it comes from the same people who gave us brexit.

Plz don't smear Northern Europe.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

When was the last time you used the half-privatised railroad services? Here in the South East trains are frequent and clean. Sure, they are full AF during rush hour, but you can't do much about that.

Tamas

Besides, its far from being about the trains only. In fact I don't even think they mentioned the railroads.

They have a boner about taking control of utilities, in a "democratic" new cooperative way where "everyone feels ownership". Trust me, in such scenario nobody feels ownership, and nobody cares.

Tamas

And stop the "far right gave us Brexit". It was the downtrodden working class' alliance with delusional reckless aristocracy that gave us Brexit.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2018, 06:37:21 AM
Besides, its far from being about the trains only. In fact I don't even think they mentioned the railroads.

They have a boner about taking control of utilities, in a "democratic" new cooperative way where "everyone feels ownership". Trust me, in such scenario nobody feels ownership, and nobody cares.

Why do you hate Communism? :angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 11, 2018, 06:35:58 AM
When was the last time you used the half-privatised railroad services? Here in the South East trains are frequent and clean. Sure, they are full AF during rush hour, but you can't do much about that.

A few months ago getting between Manchester and Newcastle. I'll have to do the same in a few weeks too.
They are pretty bad. There's no reason it should take so long to get between Manchester and York. And everyone loves pacers.

And thats part of the problem there, that you say the South East is fine...London gets £1940 per head in transport spending. The North East gets....£200.
Even so I tried some trains in the South East in Summer. Brighton-London was pretty good but even around Chichester was awful. Crowded, dirty and slow.

Sure there are things that can be done about overcrowding: bigger carriages, more carriages per train, more trains, better coordinated timetables, new lines....

QuoteBesides, its far from being about the trains only. In fact I don't even think they mentioned the railroads.

Its not just trains. But it is mostly trains.
I'm not as interested in gas and water pipes as I am trains so I won't argue too strongly on those. On trains however I'm a firm believer in transport infrastructure being key to economic development, so that's a huge vote winner for me.

QuoteAnd stop the "far right gave us Brexit". It was the downtrodden working class' alliance with delusional reckless aristocracy that gave us Brexit.
Who were told foreigners were the cause of all their problems by.....the hard right (aka the actual cause of all their problems)
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Well the Tories are so unbelievably fucking useless that I'm contemplating voting Labour in the next General Election. I think the best result would probably be Labour winning but with a few seats short, so that the LibDems or SNP could vote down any obvious leftwing lunacy.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 11, 2018, 08:22:34 AM
Well the Tories are so unbelievably fucking useless that I'm contemplating voting Labour in the next General Election. I think the best result would probably be Labour winning but with a few seats short, so that the LibDems or SNP could vote down any obvious leftwing lunacy.

Probably quoting for the truth.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Liberals a lost cause in your constituency, RH?