Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

:yes:

I didn't even know that was a hypothetical option.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

28 countries enter, one country leaves.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Mad Max is an Aussie/Yank flick. A true brexiteer would aspire to replicate the British dystopia of "Doomsday"  :bowler:

Duque de Bragança

Doomsday leaves Newcastle in the wrong side of the wall though.  :P

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 20, 2018, 04:10:55 AM
Mad Max is an Aussie/Yank flick. A true brexiteer would aspire to replicate the British dystopia of "Doomsday"  :bowler:

I'm not sure why he'd want to reference a failed film though. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Didn't it have whatshername? Not a complete failure.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2018, 04:22:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 20, 2018, 04:10:55 AM

I'm not sure why he'd want to reference a failed film though. :hmm:

Just setting the bar at the appropiate level  :P

garbon

Tamas

Also, is this now the official pro-Leave argument? "It won't be as bad as Mad Max"? Good heavens.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/20/mad-max-brexit-david-davis-terminator-children-of-men

QuoteEvery single day, Brexit finds a brand new way to disappoint me. Throughout this whole mess – the bus lies, the paralysed government, the lack of any meaningful opposition – I've managed to keep my spirits up by remembering that, at the end of it all, at least Britain would definitely be plunged into a Mad Max-style dystopia.

And that was really something to cling to, because a Mad Max-style dystopia would be the best sort of dystopia. It would be nice and warm, the cars would be cool, access to flamethrowers would be more decentralised and, at least on the basis of the last film, you'd barely be able to move for supermodels. Brexit might be unavoidable, but I'd managed to convince myself that – at the very least – the uptick in Tina Turner power ballads would make it slightly bearable. And now even that has been yanked away from us.

David Davis, the Brexit secretary, has now taken the Mad Max-style dystopia off the table. Perhaps it was too fun. Perhaps all the face paint and Doof Warriors meant it wasn't austere enough to fit the modern Conservative brand. Whatever the reason, we aren't getting it. Don't get me wrong, Britain will still become a dystopia once Brexit kicks in – because of course it will – but now we have to choose which of the lesser dystopias it will be. In no particular order, here are my favoured back-up dystopias.

A Children of Men-style dystopia
In all honesty, this is inevitable. Britain will be turned into a military-industrial siege state ruled by a disenfranchised older population, where everyone has stopped giving birth. Admittedly, our dystopia will branch off from the source material a little – the lack of new babies will partly be due to an entire generation being unable to afford to leave their parents' houses, and partly because nothing kills a boner like having Boris Johnson for prime minister – but the effect will broadly be the same.

A Terminator-style dystopia
Thankfully, we have little to fear from this. Yes, it's still feasible that a super-intelligent robot race will develop the capacity to enslave humanity, but at least resources will be so scarce post-Brexit that any robots are likely to just be an Amstrad E-m@iler phone Sellotaped to the back of a Furby. You'd probably be able to take them out with the back of a shovel if push came to shove.

A La Jeteé-style dystopia
Too foreign. Yuck.

Josquius

Everyone is forgetting mad max 1.
The mad max world didn't go straight to men in bondage gear fighting over water.
The first film was rather closer to home, a civilized land wracked by austerity with a cop trying to do his job against budget cuts.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Forgetting Mad Max 1 is the sane thing to do.

Tamas

HVC

Mad Max 1 is the fevered dream of Max from Mad Max 2
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2018, 11:46:19 AM
Everyone is forgetting mad max 1.
The mad max world didn't go straight to men in bondage gear fighting over water.
The first film was rather closer to home, a civilized land wracked by austerity with a cop trying to do his job against budget cuts.

:lol:

Fucking Maggie Thatcher.