Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Norgy

A nice bit of potential corruption thrown in for good measure.

Tamas

Quote from: Norgy on September 05, 2024, 02:08:43 AMA nice bit of potential corruption thrown in for good measure.

That is the obvious answer to why rules were not enforced.

Tamas

In typical fashion the Guardian has been trying to make the "weird" tag work on Tories, very original. :D

I mean they are most certainly weird, I just wish we wouldn't be this eager to become the poor man's US of A. If we want to be them just become the 51st state and be done with it.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 05, 2024, 03:20:24 AMIn typical fashion the Guardian has been trying to make the "weird" tag work on Tories, very original. :D

I mean they are most certainly weird, I just wish we wouldn't be this eager to become the poor man's US of A. If we want to be them just become the 51st state and be done with it.

They have most of their opinion columnist in UK, AU and US. Natural that terminology starts bleeding across them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Quote from: Tamas on September 05, 2024, 03:16:12 AM
Quote from: Norgy on September 05, 2024, 02:08:43 AMA nice bit of potential corruption thrown in for good measure.

While I love reading reports, 1700 pages plus is a bit over-whelming. I wonder how many similar projects, that have not yet blown up in someone's face, there are around both the UK and in Europe in general.

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on September 05, 2024, 03:44:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 05, 2024, 03:16:12 AM

While I love reading reports, 1700 pages plus is a bit over-whelming. I wonder how many similar projects, that have not yet blown up in someone's face, there are around both the UK and in Europe in general.

I live in a building that has cladding that needs to be removed but the housing association is still working to try to get government funding for the removal. In the mean time we got a new sensitive smoke alarm system with alarms put outside of bathroom doors...and a fire warden who regularly walks around looking for evidence of fire.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Norgy on September 05, 2024, 03:44:02 AMWhile I love reading reports, 1700 pages plus is a bit over-whelming. I wonder how many similar projects, that have not yet blown up in someone's face, there are around both the UK and in Europe in general.
So this type of cladding is now explicitly banned in several countries for new developments. But my understanding is that there are thousands of buildings around the world with this type of cladding - and so far, the UK is the only country actively trying to remove it from existing buildings. There's lots of issues with that scheme.

But that's why we still see fires on towers - recently in Milan and Valencia, in the past Dubai and Las Vegas. It is, in all of those cases, this type of cladding that causes the incredibly rapid and dangerous spread of the fire.

I suspect other countries are waiting to see how the UK does it (as it's quite expensive) before working out their own policy or, perhaps, it will just take their own tragedy to focus attention.
Let's bomb Russia!

Norgy

We're still not done removing asbestos from buildings, so I'll shut up. :uffda:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on September 05, 2024, 03:20:24 AMIn typical fashion the Guardian has been trying to make the "weird" tag work on Tories, very original. :D

If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone in mimicking the US.  The leader of the federal Conservative Party here has taken to name-calling when referring to the leaders of the other political parties.

Sheilbh

Name-calling has always been a proud and storied part of British politics :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Norgy on September 05, 2024, 07:55:11 AMWe're still not done removing asbestos from buildings, so I'll shut up. :uffda:

It'll be literally centuries before that's complete.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Norgy on September 05, 2024, 07:55:11 AMWe're still not done removing asbestos from buildings, so I'll shut up. :uffda:

I think it's generally agreed that if it's not actively causing problems it's best to just leave asbestos in buildings alone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

You should try living in Canada.  I love all the times the Conservatives are accused of trying to take away women's right to an abortion, despite the fact that abortion hasn't been an issue in Canada since the 80s, and even in the 80s the then-PCs were trying to pass a law on a non-partisan basis, but Parliament couldn't agree on anything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2024, 10:10:54 AM

I think it's generally agreed that if it's not actively causing problems it's best to just leave asbestos in buildings alone.

And for the love of God do not build new buildings in their place. New buildings are un-British.

Norgy

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2024, 10:10:54 AM

It's actually the removal and breaking up of asbestos that's risky, as far as I have been told.