Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on September 12, 2024, 10:23:22 PMJust get a stove top kettle you heathen yank!  :bowler:  :D

I don't drink tea in sufficient quantities to justify the purchase of a single use appliance, you snow shoe flapping crap beer drinking frostback.

HVC

how dare the land of budweiser and pabst beer disparage anyone elses beer!

I also use the kettle for instant ramen, thank you very much  :cool:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

PBR is a decent Pilsner.  I used to buy the line American beer being crap but then I drank some LaBatt's and some Molson.  They taste like Bud in a new can.  Since then we invented 5,000 new flavors of microbrew.  You're the Americans now.

You can't use a kettle for brick ramen, only cup.  Cup is the inferior, gas station version.  Real men eat brick.

HVC

Coors owns molson and budweiser owns labatts. Going on 2 decades now :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

They tasted like shit before and they taste like shit now.

Josquius

When comparing beer you must first choose whether you're speaking high or low end. Responding to a Budweiser put down with 'what about this awesome microbrew' isn't really valid.
Comparing the low end is the easiest way to go about it.
And on that the UK absolutely whups the US no questions asked; John Smiths is a perfectly respectable option. Budweiser is not.
On the high end I've no idea, I'm not enough of a connoisseur to have tasted the best everywhere has to offer. The US certainly does have some good even mid tier beers.

Quote from: HVC on September 12, 2024, 09:41:18 PMThe new North American vs The UK battle.  Do you rinse your dishes when you wash them?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C_rRTx4SWhM/?igsh=MXIxMnJ3YjdvNXl6dQ==

The link just doesn't open for me.
A quick google and I get this, wonder if its the same thing? https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/real-life/brits-washing-up-wrong-according-29909732

But...brings back memories. The battle of the washing up tub. Its the absolutely bog standard thing that you have a washing up tub and do your washing in there- if they're particularly manky then yeah you rinse them first.
My gf absolutely rejected this though. The Swiss way is you just have a permanently running tap and do them under that.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Dude, for fucks sake, we're talking about rinsing them after you wash them, not before.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2024, 03:34:04 AMDude, for fucks sake, we're talking about rinsing them after you wash them, not before.

We have already established in the past that Sheilbh does not rinse them after washing, which is just abhorrent.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 13, 2024, 03:42:15 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2024, 03:34:04 AMDude, for fucks sake, we're talking about rinsing them after you wash them, not before.

We have already established in the past that Sheilbh does not rinse them after washing, which is just abhorrent.
I now have a dishwasher, so I don't even wash them any more :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

When I handwash dishes, I sometimes use "the Swiss way". Other times I continue using soapy suds (in a tub or a pot that needs to be washed), but rinse everything with running water afterwards.

But mostly I use the dishwasher.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on September 13, 2024, 03:42:15 AMWe have already established in the past that Sheilbh does not rinse them after washing, which is just abhorrent.

:wacko:

Tamas

Reddit brought me to a big thread about the winter file payment "cut" and I found zero sympathy for the pensioners losing it.

I suspect the uproar is in the leftist navel-gazing circles (outside of the pensioners themselves) only.

Sheilbh

It's really not. Why are you so relaxed about this v the idea of state pensions being taken out of tax?

I think this was a big mistake. The political cost of your first big policy being taking money away from the elderly v the policy benefit of saving £1.3-1.5 billion a year (of an annual budget of around £1,200 billion) is not worth it.

Which is why every previous chancellor of both parties for the last 30 years has ignored the Treasury on this. That Reeves apparently didn't spot the political problem and went along with it isn't great.

And all of this - and I suspect sympathy/stories on Reddit are going to be entirely dependent on the type of winter we have. If it's mild it might be okay, if it's cold I suspect there'll be a u-turn and maybe even more money given away on it that'll cost a lot more than the saving.

Labour should do difficult things and court unpopularity at this stage of their term. But they should do the big, unpopular difficult things that you think will work in the long run (big reforms: planning, NHS, policing and prisons etc). Not the difficult thing that is just delivering a 0.1% saving :bleeding:

Edit: And instead on planning, NHS etc Labour have just commissioned lots of reviews...:ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!