News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Powerball Pool!

Started by Berkut, January 12, 2016, 05:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on January 13, 2016, 01:56:49 PM
I think the tax advisors will be hired by the individual winners, as the pay-out calculation will be pre-tax.

Taxes are going to be radically different for those in other countries, for example.

Okay, that makes sense :)

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 13, 2016, 01:53:38 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2016, 01:16:21 PM
I thought verbal contracts were only enforceable up to a small dollar amount, like $500.

Not so.
The rules in NY  (where B is?) about this are in the General Obligations Law, 5-701-705.   Lotsa fun.

Correct, New York. IIRC it basically comes down to I get the money, and I might buy each of you a new Miata or something. If I feel like it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

lustindarkness

I trust Berkie to give us our share if we win it. :)

BTW, Toyota for me, no Mazda!  :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grinning_Colossus

The $500 thing is only for the sale of goods. However, we're not buying any goods from Berkut or (directly) paying him for his services. He would, however, benefit if the pool as a whole were to win the lottery, so there's mutual reliance here, and a court would probably view this as a contract for services. Given that e-mails count as signed statements, I think a court could easily interpret this thread as a contract.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on January 13, 2016, 01:58:11 PM
Correct, New York. IIRC it basically comes down to I get the money, and I might buy each of you a new Miata or something. If I feel like it.

Mazda lobbied the legislature really hard for that one; poor Sheldon Silver should have never taken the yen.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Hence the necessity of a parallel pool, to hire an enforcer.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Meh, might as well try and get in on the potential drama and blood vendettas that will happen if there's a win. :P 10 shares for me, plox.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Thank you to berks, btw, for organizing this. :) :cheers:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Malthus on January 13, 2016, 02:02:41 PM

Hence the necessity of a parallel poll, to hire an enforcer.  :D

We don't need a poll, Seedy is our enforcer already (even in his absence we stay in line for fear of his wrath :P).
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

If we win this & it leaks out on how we're from a internet forum, the server is going to get obliterated.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Well people keep saying we need new members.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

lustindarkness

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 13, 2016, 02:13:32 PM
If we win this & it leaks out on how we're from a internet forum, the server is going to get obliterated.

Oh noes! Languish is dying!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 13, 2016, 02:13:32 PM

I for one am willing to take that risk.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 13, 2016, 02:02:41 PM

Hence the necessity of a parallel pool, to hire an enforcer.  :D

He is good at tracking down people who do not pay their debts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."