News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Powerball Pool!

Started by Berkut, January 12, 2016, 05:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Years ago when the Massachusetts lottery was in its early years, I went in on an office pool with thirteen other fellow workers. And we actually won the prize! It was great! But back then the lottery we won used fewer numbers so there were more likely to be multiple winners. And that's what we had, thirteen other winning tickets. Fourteen winning tickets and fourteen on our winning ticket.

Our group won nearly three quarters of a million bucks and divided among the fourteen of us it came out to about 33k each, I think if we took a payout. A lot less than what we expected but it was still a lot of fun. A day or two later the company owner said he was really happy for us, but even more happy that there were a lot of winners, else he would have lost many of his programming staff.

We setup a trust and the lottery winnings went into that each year. One of the trustees would then send checks to all of us. It was about $2600 a year for 20 years.

Brazen

Moneys sent for another five shares :)

Now in which country should we purchase Languish Castle? I vote France.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Brazen on January 13, 2016, 12:01:37 PM
Moneys sent for another five shares :)

Now in which country should we purchase Languish Castle? I vote France.

Ah yes, do we know if Le Mont-Saint-Michel up for sale?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

OK, was in a meeting, and had a few new ones since then. Two people did not send their Languish ID though, so I just have a name which presumably they would rather I not share. I shall try to figure it out by process of elimination. What I do have:

Tamas: 5 shares
Grey Fox: 2 shares
Kronn: 5 shares
Brazen: 5 shares
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

I have heard the 1.5 bllion is pre-tax :(

Berkut

I was just planning on posting a pic of the ticket(s) here in the thread. Is there some reason that is a bad idea?

0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on January 13, 2016, 12:16:40 PM
OK, was in a meeting, and had a few new ones since then. Two people did not send their Languish ID though, so I just have a name which presumably they would rather I not share. I shall try to figure it out by process of elimination. What I do have:

Did you get mine? I thought I sent my nick in the note.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on January 13, 2016, 12:19:40 PM
I have heard the 1.5 bllion is pre-tax :(

The $1.5 billion (estimate) is the amount if you select the payout over 30 years option. If you take the lump sum option, it is something like 60% or something like that (which is what we would be doing).

So that is something like ~$800 million I think is what I heard.

The tax accountant/lawyer to figure out how to handle international taxes and such comes out of your winnings!

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on January 13, 2016, 12:21:17 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 13, 2016, 12:16:40 PM

Did you get mine? I thought I sent my nick in the note.

I did not get one from Malthus in the note....PM me your actual name please!

0 rows returned

DGuller

Surely he must be EA?  I assume he shares his last name with a certain Canadian writer?

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2016, 12:26:00 PM
Surely he must be EA?  I assume he shares his last name with a certain Canadian writer?

I tend to agree, but want actual PMs from people saying that to make sure there is no confusion about who has what shares.

It is squared away with Malthus at this point.

0 rows returned

Berkut

0 rows returned

Jacob

Berkut, I just sent $12. Please confirm :)

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on January 13, 2016, 12:28:52 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2016, 12:26:00 PM

I tend to agree, but want actual PMs from people saying that to make sure there is no confusion about who has what shares.

It is squared away with Malthus at this point.
Good point, it's never a bad idea to be careful and deliberate with such matters.