Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 17, 2017, 02:50:43 AM
that's the difference between the first star wars since long and under new ownership and the third star wars in just as many years. But yeah, not much wow in the teaser.

Gonna have to wait for the long trailers.  Didn't help that most of the dialogue is most likely from Rey and Luke's initial conversation.
Experience bij!

Berkut

One thing that bugs me.

Luke, overall, is just a giant pussy. He is such a whiny bitch, the idea that he represents to current pinnacle of the "Jedi", and gets to make decisions about the future of the Jedi, is just kind of lame.

If he says something like "The Jedi are finished", I don't have any kind of thought like "Well, he is wise, and he should know that is best..." it is mostly more like "Who the fuck are you to say, you emo brat?".

For the most part, his entire life has been one disaster after another, and almost everything he has succeeded at has been because of others acting through him. In fact, RotJ was really the first time we ever even saw Luke acting as his own agent. And he did a nice job, mostly, but the story was still really about Vader more than it was about Luke.

So it feels like they are trying to setup Luke as the next version of Yoda when it comes to wisdom around the Force, and I am having some trouble buying it - he mostly doesn't really seem to actually understand it, even if he is proficient at using it.

And from what little we know about what happened after the death of Palpatine, it sounds like he has been pretty much a complete disaster as the "Leader of the new Jedi".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2017, 09:44:37 AM
Luke, overall, is just a giant pussy. He is such a whiny bitch, the idea that he represents to current pinnacle of the "Jedi", and gets to make decisions about the future of the Jedi, is just kind of lame.

:unsure: Pretty sure Darth Vader is the whiny bitch. His wife had some health issues so he became a mass murderer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on April 17, 2017, 09:54:30 AM

:unsure: Pretty sure Darth Vader is the whiny bitch. His wife had some health issues so he became a mass murderer.

Well, yeah.

But at least Vader/Anakin was (supposedly) just supremely emotionally damage. They did a terrible job telling that story, but the basic idea was that between his childhood basically as a slave, his mother's murder, then falling for Padme, and the belief that she was in danger, he basically decided that he had to have power to save those he loved, and that was the way to get it.

It makes sense, if you just look at the basic story - it is even compelling. They executed it pretty terribly of course. But the basic story of a fundamentally good person falling to evil in an vain effort to save those he loves is pretty understandable and you can get behind that guy, especially once he achieves some level of redemption.

Luke's basic story is that he is a whiny bitch who happens to be incredibly strong in the force, but mostly just fucks it all up over and over and over again.

The first six Star Wars stories are kind of weird, really, if you think about it. The order they were told puts the focus on Luke, but the basic story is not really about Luke at all, it is about Anakin. SW Ep. 1-6 are really the story of Anakin Skywalker, there is a complete arc there. His son's story is tangential in many ways, in that it is only really important in how it drives his fathers story.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2017, 10:10:37 AM
Luke's basic story is that he is a whiny bitch who happens to be incredibly strong in the force, but mostly just fucks it all up over and over and over again.

If you say so. Maybe you watched a different version of those movies?

I mean sure he is not some kind of invincible badass or anything but whiny bitch seems a bit of ridiculous hyperbole to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

One thing that bugs me.

If he says something like "The Jedi are finished", I don't have any kind of thought like "Well, he is wise, and he should know that is best..." it is mostly more like "Who the fuck are you to say, you emo brat?".

For the most part, his entire life has been one disaster after another, and almost everything he has succeeded at has been because of others acting through him. In fact, RotJ was really the first time we ever even saw Luke acting as his own agent. And he did a nice job, mostly, but the story was still really about Vader more than it was about Luke.

So it feels like they are trying to setup Luke as the next version of Yoda when it comes to wisdom around the Force, and I am having some trouble buying it - he mostly doesn't really seem to actually understand it, even if he is proficient at using it.

And from what little we know about what happened after the death of Palpatine, it sounds like he has been pretty much a complete disaster as the "Leader of the new Jedi".

Maybe that is the point? The last great force user doesn't know much & isn't really wise at all. A new force order is about the emerge one where their might be no balance but a fusion.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 17, 2017, 11:11:24 AM
One thing that bugs me.

Maybe that is the point? The last great force user doesn't know much & isn't really wise at all. A new force order is about the emerge one where their might be no balance but a fusion.

I hope that is the case - that Lukes incompetence is not an accident of bad writing and amateurish acting, but rather the point.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Luke really showed his incompetence blowing up that Death Star and killing the Emperor. A shame he couldn't be more competent.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

More seriously, I thought it was obvious that Luke is meant to be shown as naive, inexperienced, and overly impulsive. His entire arc is finding out more about his past while training under the last Jedi masters.

In doing so, he defies them at multiple points and pays for it. He learns from these mistakes and slowly comes to the realization of what he needs to be...and even then almost falls to the temptations of the Emperor.

It's no surprise, then, to find him so despondent in his old age (assuming that's true--we are engaging in conjecture on a few lines from a brief trailer)--his life's work is a failure and the Dark Side is just as strong as it was before Vader threw the Emperor down that shaft.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Habbaku on April 17, 2017, 02:16:48 PM
Luke really showed his incompetence blowing up that Death Star and killing the Emperor. A shame he couldn't be more competent.

Uh, Vader killed the Emperor after he got sick of watching Palpatine wail on Luke.  The Death Star got blown up by Lando and Wedge after Han blew up the shield generator on Endor.  Luke's contribution literally boiled down to showing Vader that he should be a disgruntled employee after all.
Experience bij!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2017, 04:01:14 PM
I get the impression an island will figure in the movie.

Looks like a mashup up The Matrix and Hell in the Pacific
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Yes, if only there were some second Death Star that Luke contributed to destroying.   :hmm:

And saying that Vader killed the Emperor is missing the point, of course. Or do you really believe Vader was just biding his time until Luke gave him a convenient excuse?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Ben told him what to do with the Death Star I, and Vader killed the Emperor, not Luke.

Even to the extent that Luke deserves credit for destroying the first death star, it is just credit for being a good pilot - that doesn't make him a good leader or particularly wise.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on April 17, 2017, 02:30:37 PM
Yes, if only there were some second Death Star that Luke contributed to destroying.   :hmm:

And saying that Vader killed the Emperor is missing the point, of course. Or do you really believe Vader was just biding his time until Like gave him a convenient excuse?

Luke was critical to Vader killing the Emperor of course, but only as a way of completing Anakin's arc. Something Anakin/Vader valued enough to break the Emperors hold on him - and it was the same thing that drove Vader to the dark side to begin with - his family.

You could argue that Luke showed great wisdom in recognizing that that was in fact the key to destroying the Emperor....  :hmm:

But yeah, I am not going to argue that Luke was NEVER wise, or was ALWAYS a loser...just most of the time. And enough of the time that the idea of him being a 6 foot tall Yoda when it comes to understanding the Force and the Jedi doesn't really sit well with me.

Mostly I am just bored though...

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2017, 02:34:44 PM

Ben told him what to do with the Death Star I, and Vader killed the Emperor, not Luke.

Even to the extent that Luke deserves credit for destroying the first death star, it is just credit for being a good pilot - that doesn't make him a good leader or particularly wise.

I never made the claim that he was particularly wise or a good leader, nor did anyone here as far as I can tell. We have literally no on screen information about his leadership years after the Emperor's death except the failure of his Jedi order.

-J. R. R. Tolkien