News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

I work in a very large company. I once heard something that rings true: "Large organisations are an ocean of mediocrity with small islands of brilliance."

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2024, 07:04:45 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2024, 04:29:49 AMdo you have any examples of 20 somethings making it into senior decision-making positions ahead of Gen xers?

I have to admit I have not seen it occurring.

McKinsey & Company.
Deloitte.
Booz Allen Hamilton.
KBR.
KPMG.

Up to my fucking ass with an entire army of 28 year old Ambers, Michelles and Kaylees with masters degrees, billing out at $300 an hour, running around everywhere providing "management services," blending in with company email accounts, coordinating their 2 dozen little Zoom meetings a week, just so we can circle back and close the loop on this milestone, thank you very much.

Snotty little shits are everywhere. Nevermind the fact that 8 years earlier they were taking facials from the basketball team when they were at University at Tuition during rush week with Kappa Creme Pi, now they suddenly know everything.

Fucking brats.

The is the classic CdM high quality wit-borne-of-anger that we have been starved of oh these last many years.  :(

Josquius

Isn't the thing with hiring tonnes of contractors due to capitalisms system of having different cost centres and the need to prove things to shareholders?

Hire a guy on 50k a year to do a job and this is marked down in one cost centre.
Hire a contractor to do it for 200k (40k goes to the person) and it goes in a totally different place so is more acceptable.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

From the thankfully limited experience I've had with consultants, I've mostly seen them come in when a client organisation was too dysfunctional to be able to come to basic agreements across departments without a neutral party facilitating discussions or when the client contact was too green to confidently make decisions on their own.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

All I am going to say is that my professional experience on consultants matches the others here.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2024, 02:39:21 AMFrom the thankfully limited experience I've had with consultants, I've mostly seen them come in when a client organisation was too dysfunctional to be able to come to basic agreements across departments without a neutral party facilitating discussions or when the client contact was too green to confidently make decisions on their own.

Yeah, that is certainly a major dynamic.  That combined with decision makers not wanting to take responsibility for a decision.  Much better to say the decision was made because that is what the consultants recommended.

I see it a lot more now in my line of work.  I have to gently remind some of my clients that it is their money, they need to decide what they want to do, not me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2024, 07:04:45 AMbilling out at $300 an hour

McKinsey bills $300 for taking out the ashtrays.

(Yes I know companies don't have ashtrays anymore.  But you'll still get billed for it.  Read the contract next time).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2024, 09:26:39 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2024, 07:04:45 AMbilling out at $300 an hour

McKinsey bills $300 for taking out the ashtrays.

(Yes I know companies don't have ashtrays anymore.  But you'll still get billed for it.  Read the contract next time).

:D

Zanza

Just heard today that they hired McKinsey to propose GenAI usecases in my area of responsibility.  :cry: 

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on August 15, 2024, 11:54:52 AMJust heard today that they hired McKinsey to propose GenAI usecases in my area of responsibility.  :cry: 

That's a hard yikes from me.

Syt

Well, my brother in law has it all figured out.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Good. The US needs higher tax revenues.

grumbler

The new positions are to specifically be staffed by higher-level agents able to audit corporations and the wealthy who have all of those tax-dodging loopholes.  It's about time.  The Republicans held up this hiring to fill open positions for almost eight years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!