News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Uhm. I am still ashamed of that Viking stare. I think I paid for it by having the withdrawal shakes the entire plane ride back from London, though.

Dino Dini, wasn't it?
Sensible Soccer let you edit your teams with real names, but I would say Kick-Off was better.

Gups

Quote from: Norgy on July 27, 2024, 12:23:34 PMUhm. I am still ashamed of that Viking stare. I think I paid for it by having the withdrawal shakes the entire plane ride back from London, though.

Dino Dini, wasn't it?
Sensible Soccer let you edit your teams with real names, but I would say Kick-Off was better.

Lol. You were in great form until right at the end!

Yeah Dino and Steve Screech.

Admiral Yi

If you're going to tell the story, tell the fookin story.  What was the Viking stare about?

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2024, 03:27:52 PMIf you're going to tell the story, tell the fookin story.  What was the Viking stare about?

Gups, Owen, a friend of mine and me met up in London. It was back in, 2004, I think.
My friend, who is bipolar, talks a lot. I don't, really. But I got utterly hammered. And one of the serving staff in the pub of Owen and Gups' choosing (which was a great place) was unfortunate to spill a little of my beer. MY BEER. So I think I was giving him a stare a bit like Vinny Jones did in "Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels".

Gups was friendly enough to point out "You should not do that here". I think I eventually stopped staring and concentrated on not falling out of my chair. But before that night ended, I was robbed in the street and we (not Gups and Owen) ended up in some utterly illegal hole-in-the-wall night club.

We then had one more day in London. Which was spent with some local Hells Angels blokes getting my wallet back, heavy drinking and a bit of charlie to keep things going and a dinner at a Chinese restaurant before passing out in what can only be described as the worst "hotel" in London.

Next morning, 6 AM, back to Norway.

"I am sorry, we do not serve alcohol this early" were some of the saddest words any airline stewardess has said to me.
I had such sweats and shakes after drinking London dry, I probably gave a stare then, too. 

Gups and Owen were a joy to meet, they were gentlemen and superbly showing two Norwegian morons a good time.

The stare sort of was my thing. The passive-aggressive "some day I am going to shiv you" thing.
It's not exactly a great story. Not Bukowski or Kafka. But it is true. I think those two Englishmen showed an amount of patience and understanding no person should without receiving a medal.

Admiral Yi

Disagree.  Totally Bukowski.  Thanks.  :)

Norgy

Consider that it was 2004, we were all hanging about on Languish. It is 20 years ago. Now THAT is frightening. Pure and simple.

Gups

Wow! Knew nothing about the post-stare bender!

Norgy

Quote from: Gups on July 28, 2024, 09:53:06 AMWow! Knew nothing about the post-stare bender!

Don't think I am allowed to return to London yet.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

And from my brother in law:

(He believes the vote is between "crazy liberal or unlikable so so conservative".)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Yeah well I know how that goes. They tell you "wow we desperately need more [whatever]" and then you go spend a ton of time and money getting skills in whatever and then suddenly when you reach out to be employed nobody wants you. That is a pretty common story in America these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2024, 10:48:59 AM(He believes the vote is between "crazy liberal or unlikable so so conservative".)

Is he aware of Donald Trump's military record?

And yeah he disagreed with Iraq so he left the military and ran for Congress. Seems like the right thing to do if you oppose the government.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Well yeah, but my brother in law was in the Army (mostly artillery) for 20+ years, including Gulf War 1 & 2 and Afghanistan, and the closest he's ever come to a combat zone was being station in Germany, I think (what with it being closer to Iraq or Afghanistan than the USA :P ), and at least Trump isn't lying about his service (only why he didn't serve, I guess, bone spurs and all that)?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Yes, Donnie dodged the draft. But the Republicans were fine with Dubya basically doing the same thing and laughing at McCain for being a loser so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that suddenly when it isn't their guy no service record is pure enough but their assholes can do whatever.

I don't recall Walz lying about his service, he just didn't agree with the Iraq War so he left the service. Is there something wrong about doing that?